NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it. Learn more

I understand

This site runs on Joomla, and Joomla uses cookies for its basic technical operation. Like millions of other sites, we use Google Analytics to monitor site usage statistics, and Google Analytics uses cookies for its basic technical operation.

We make no other use of cookies at all. We do not use cookies to collect any personal information, and we do not use cookies for the purposes of marketing or advertising.

None of our Joomla extensions use cookies either, other than the regular Joomla ones.

Fasting Connection

Welcome to our fasting forum and intermittent fast support network

Search this site

Setting
  • Search area
    • Site
    • Web
  • Search type
    • Web
    • News
    • Video
  • Power by JLex

Visitors Counter

TodayToday961
YesterdayYesterday1372
This_WeekThis_Week2333
Guests 5
Now Online
-
Registered Today
-

Audio Interview

Introduction to Fasting Part 1

Introduction to Fasting Part 2

Supplement Ripoffs

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Tips to ger through first 3 days

Share a thread across all social networks and email

Bookmark and Share

Tips to ger through first 3 days 30 Dec 2010 22:58 #5499

• Lizzie
  • Fresh Boarder
Starting day 1 of 21 day fast tomorrow - have heard the first few days can be tough - would be good to hear any tips.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Tips to ger through first 3 days 30 Dec 2010 23:53 #5500

• carolineq
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
1) make your last meal a fatty one
2) exercise to keep the elimination of toxins going out in the sweat
3) partner up with a fasting buddy
4) consider starting the fast in the mid-late afternoon so that you wake up and you're almost at 24 hours... that's the tough part for me. I am starting after my last meal - hot dogs in a few minutes.
5) rise slowly because you will likely experience loss of blood pressure on standing
6) be patient, the feelings subside for most by 48-72 hours (sooner with exercise methinks) when you enter into ketosis.
7) consider using Ketostix to watch out for when you enter ketosis and don't expect to go in before 40 hours.
8) don't hang out in restaurants or around eaters...especially the first 3 days, because that'll do ya in.
9) get excited because you are doing your body a service by allowing it to self-cleanse and you will be losing weight
10) always make sure it's safe for you by checking with doc first though...that way you won't have an excuse to quit later when you wonder whether it's safe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sunshine monkey

Re: Tips to ger through first 3 days 31 Dec 2010 00:27 #5501

• Lizzie
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank-you so much for your super fast response. Sound like great tips, particularly the starting in the afternoon one, too late to skip supper today, but have decided to start my fast from now (1924 hours) rather than tomorrow. I do feel excited thinking that I have started now already - day 1 and counting. Very best wishes.

Re: Tips to ger through first 3 days 06 Jan 2011 23:49 #5572

• sadient
  • Fresh Boarder
I enjoyed the tips as well. I am on day 1. How are you doing on your fast? 21 days seems unimaginable to me!! You go girl. I bet you'll feel so great afterwards! I too plan on working out / running after the fast. I've been walking now.

I hope you are doing well! Let me know how the first few days were for you! I failed yesterday on my day 1....so I started over today and I am determined to succeed for 3 days!

Re: Tips to ger through first 3 days 07 Jan 2011 19:36 #5587

• carolineq
  • Gold Boarder
I have failed my first day attempts repeatedly as well this week. I got close yesterday... but the grumpies got to me so I ate something sweet and immediately felt better... it's getting to 24 hours that's hard... the grumpies usually get to me at around 18-22 hours, making the 24 hour fast hard... but I'm into a fresh attempt today.

One other tip for pre-menopausal females: wait until you are just ready to start you menses - the estrogen drops and decreases appetite immensely (at least for me).

Re: Tips to ger through first 3 days 08 Jan 2011 01:33 #5596

• Lizzie
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi thanks for your post - as you will see from my blog, didn't achieve the 21 days, but the fights not over yet! Starting again next week. Good luck to you - Lizzie

Re: Tips to ger through first 3 days 08 Jan 2011 02:09 #5597

• TheFastDoctor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 698
I admire yur resolve, Lizzie.. now do consider fasting between one and 4 days per week until your next attempt.. preferably for several weeks. It will keep the lipolytic enzymes active and make your next transition just that much easier. You achieve almost the same with several short fasts vs one long one.

And thanks for keeping us all captivated with your progress reports!

André
All my posts are "generic", based on my opinions and experiences only and are not intended to replace the advice of your own licensed medical practitioner.

Re: Tips to ger through first 3 days 09 Jan 2011 13:56 #5600

• Meditating
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Like the majority of people who try fasting, I had a really difficult go at the first few days for a long time. It took many fasts but I don't have that problem any more because I have become accustomed to it and I don't experience detox symptoms like I did initially.

I live alone, so this tip worked well for me, but I would get rid of anything in my house I could eat without cooking. When my resolve was weak it was very hard to resist something I could just stick in my mouth. I can't tell you how often I would be fasting and would discover myself standing there looking in the fridge. Often I don't even remember how I got there but I was on autopilot to look for food.

Another thing I found helpful was to question myself when I found myself wanting food without experiencing hunger or when I knew I was feasting on ketones and committed to fasting but just couldn't turn my mind away from food.

Re: Tips to ger through first 3 days 10 Jan 2011 15:41 #5608

• Lizzie
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi thanks to everyone in supporting me with tips to get me through the first few days. Still very much commited to restarting on Sunday, but thank-you for your advice re: doing 1 - 4 days per week Andre. I am always someone who tries to push myself hard (and sometimes falls on my face) so also setting myself shorter term goals may be initially helpful -dare I say that I have had only water so far today or will that be tempting fate (oh and it is only 1040 am )?

Re: Tips to ger through first 3 days 10 Jan 2011 15:45 #5609

• Lizzie
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi thanks for sharing your experiences Meditating - yes the challenging of my thinking is probably going to be a key for me - I do find myself mindlessly eating, which is also why I thought it may be easier to start after my retreat. L

Re: Tips to ger through first 3 days 12 Jan 2011 04:31 #5627

Im on day 2..not easy.. just need to keep in the right place mentally for me! I have a long fast ahead of me so this is going to be a challange for sure!

Re: Tips to ger through first 3 days 12 Jan 2011 07:30 #5629

• TheFastDoctor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 698
Bear in mind, dear Lizzie, to make the experience easier and have more variety (the spice of life), one week you could do 2-4 consecutive days, another week an every-second-day fast. Many recent studies have proven that alternate-day-eating is extremely beneficial and it is often much easier to maintain in our social lives.

So, dear Time4Change, I do admire your resolve but should you "fail", don't be despondent: Just tell yourself you switched to the every-second-day pattern for a while.

André
All my posts are "generic", based on my opinions and experiences only and are not intended to replace the advice of your own licensed medical practitioner.

Re: Tips to ger through first 3 days 22 Jan 2011 07:50 #5709

• carolineq
  • Gold Boarder
Well, I made it to day three and here's how:
1) started mid-week so I have less time to be around food... was very busy at work and had little time to contemplate food, etc. By weekend, am well into ketosis and resolve is magnitudes greater than with the first day... sooo incredibly easy to break fast on day one, mainly because it hasn't started yet...

2) started 1 week aftre onset of menses

Good luck! I also gave myself a diet beverage today... hey, it was that or break the fast.. gotta compromise smetimes!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Binky
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds