NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it. Learn more

I understand

This site runs on Joomla, and Joomla uses cookies for its basic technical operation. Like millions of other sites, we use Google Analytics to monitor site usage statistics, and Google Analytics uses cookies for its basic technical operation.

We make no other use of cookies at all. We do not use cookies to collect any personal information, and we do not use cookies for the purposes of marketing or advertising.

None of our Joomla extensions use cookies either, other than the regular Joomla ones.

Fasting Connection

Welcome to our fasting forum and intermittent fast support network

Search this site

Setting
  • Search area
    • Site
    • Web
  • Search type
    • Web
    • News
    • Video
  • Power by JLex

Visitors Counter

TodayToday561
YesterdayYesterday1209
This_WeekThis_Week4290
Guests 104
Now Online
-
Registered Today
Barth

Audio Interview

Introduction to Fasting Part 1

Introduction to Fasting Part 2

Supplement Ripoffs

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 10-14 Day Water Fast Attempt

Share a thread across all social networks and email

Bookmark and Share

10-14 Day Water Fast Attempt 21 Dec 2008 21:55 #1499

• Madison
  • Senior Boarder
I hope to last a duration of 10-14 days of water fast as this year comes to an end and the New Year emerges.

I would like to do a big detox/cleanse and also a spiritual cleanse out of this ending year and become refreshed, anew, alive, and awakened for 2009! good karma's I hope :)

I just started today at noon (pacific standard time)
Already my digestive systems want to eat eat eat all day long, but I must persevere the gluttony of these thoughts and behaviors and control myself.

This will be my first water fast attempting not to use toothpaste, and also attempting to possibly try water enema's and if worse case, senna tea (although i want to try a full out water only fast without use of teas)

I will make it a commitment to create a blog OR just post here everyday.

-MM
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:10-14 Day Water Fast Attempt 22 Dec 2008 05:16 #1500

• TheFastDoctor
  • Thank you received: 711
Please resist this inexplicable desire to do an enema. It is very un-physiological to let anything move "up a one way street" from the end of the digestive tract.

Also, I never prescribe or use or recommend the use of Senna. This is a toxic herb which irritates the nervous system. I have witnessed it causing severe irregularities of the heartbeat.

Sometimes I do prescribe intestinal cleansers on day 2 or day 3 of a fast. (See some previous posts about this.) We use a macroglycol type of "flush" taken by mouth, not by rectum. Macroglycols are large organic molecules that cannot be absorbed so it stays in the intestine and "washes" out the mouth, gullet, stomach, duedenum, ileum, jejunum, caecum, ascending colon, transverse colon, descending colon, sigmoid, and rectum whereas an enema often reaches only the latter. It should be reserved for impaction and perhaps anally fixated people.

André
All my posts are "generic", based on my opinions and experiences only and are not intended to replace the advice of your own licensed medical practitioner.

DAY 2 23 Dec 2008 03:01 #1513

• Madison
  • Senior Boarder
Thank you for the information!

So today is DAY 2 of my water fast,
and I am surprised I slept all day! I could have slept an additional whole day, but I thought that would be unhealthy as well, so I forced myself to wake up (it is the evening right now).

My tongue is fully coated white! which shows how much this water fast is necessary, and I would like to go as long and as far as I can until the detoxifying has almost complete/and has completed or just as long as I can go till I feel the "real hunger".

So I'm wondering if it is okay to go on a water fasting without any "expelling help, colonic cleansers, etc etc". I think I read from one of David's posts that he went on 30 days of water fasting without a single bowel movement! Is that healthy or okay? I am wondering if that is okay, than I would like to try to do this water fast without anything as well.

-Madison

Re:10-14 Day Water Fast Attempt 23 Dec 2008 03:40 #1514

• Meditating
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
It should be reserved for ... anally fixated people.

LOL. Nothing like a little holiday, anal humor.

Re:DAY 2 23 Dec 2008 05:21 #1515

• TheFastDoctor
Bear in mind in Nature we don't have all these 'civilized' medications and tubes and machines, yet our ancestors fasted regularly: Food is just not available in our natural environment on an 'every day' basis. So we are adapted to this.

What does however happen in Nature is regular diarrhea.. whenever your diet changes there's a readjustment of intestinal flora to adapt to the new diet. The flora (micro-organisms in the gut that completes the digestion process) needs to change to a colony or group of colonies that can process what is in the gut. To make way for them, the others are flushed out. The appendix 'stores' small numbers of practically all the bacteria we need and these are 'seeded' into the first part of the colon as food passes from the ileum.

As food is transported all over the globe nowadays, diet no longer has drastic changes and the regular cleansing thus seldom happens. Sometimes visiting another country causes 'traveller's diarrhea' for a day or so due to the adaptation described above.

It is equally normal for a fasting intestine to take an 'extended holiday' like what David described. You don't need it often, but once in a while it works well. I once re-attached the gut of a lady who had an intestinal bypass operation. this piece of gut lay dormant in the abdomen for about 20 years, and after we re-attached it she lost even more weight than during the bypass, but her nutritional status was very much better. So if a piece of your gut can lie idle for 20 years and still work afterwards, you likely don't need to worry about a few weeks at a time!

André
All my posts are "generic", based on my opinions and experiences only and are not intended to replace the advice of your own licensed medical practitioner.

DAY 3 24 Dec 2008 11:30 #1543

• Madison
  • Senior Boarder
Day 3 of my water fast:

I noticed my legs and face were very bloated,
and water retention in the legs.

Tongue still white.

I actually went out and was able to function normally the whole day!

No bowel movement.

My lips are so chapped already, so I put on some Vaseline on them.

My hair is itchier than usual with dandruff occurring, probably due to the dry air in the house (heater is always on, not under my control).

I don't know why but I ripped all my finger nails off, it just seemed like it needed to be done, like it was ready to tear off anyways. Does that sound unusual?

Emotional thinking has arose, like doubts about this water fast or possibly more doubts in myself like
-why am i doing this water fast (when in the beginning it was so clear, but im losing my focus and train of thought as temptations arise all around me *food*)
-what are the benefits in the end, and how long do i need to go (again just self doubts, feeling weaker in the going and staying on the water fast)

i've come this far, and im not turning back.
when i get more energy after sleep, i do want to look up more about water fasting information. i get more self doubt, after i read a post about someone dying during a water fast because he wanted to go as far as jesus did in 40 days? i must look this up tomorrow, but i am falling asleep, it is 3:30 am.
good night see you day 4!

Re:DAY 3 24 Dec 2008 13:27 #1545

• TheFastDoctor
Ripping off your nails definitely sounds abnormal or at the very least unusual. Could represent a suppressed anxiety in your subconscious.

If there are temptations, just keep telling yourself: I can eat only a certain volume of food in my life. If I eat it now, it's over. If I don't, I can have this later. There's a lot of evidence that fasting slows down the aging process so every fasting day (within limits of course) is a day added to your life expectancy.

See every morsel of food as something coming off your 'lifetime allowance' then ask yourself if this is the appropriate time to consume some of your allowance..

If you persist, your emotions will be strenghtened by the success.

If you need more energy, do perform the 5-step elimination cycle.. it does wonders to your energy level!

Remember that toxins are being mobilized from the tissues you break down during a fast. If you don't do anything to eliminate these from your circulation, you could have experience effects... that's what I believe happened in the fatal fast. But I have seen nothing other than obvious improvement in health in those patient who performed regular cycles of elimination activities.

I'll check in again on day 4.

André

DAY 4 25 Dec 2008 11:54 #1549

• Madison
  • Senior Boarder
So I had bowel movements today, I am surprised that there is STILL that much food inside of me! Like my body is catching up on digesting the foods in my body, crazy.

So what I gather from reading from other topics about elimination activities, it is just basically, making sure that you do get some healthy movements going so the body can move out the toxins. Like for example a small walk around the block, or a hot shower even could be an elimination activity helping aid in elimination?????

I agree that ripping off my nails could definitely be a personal anxiety underlying issue of some sort that is emerging in this fast.
I am itching my scalp/hair a lot more recently! Could it be due to dry skin or the fast in general...
My tongue is still white as ever! and I am regularly putting on lip protection/Vaseline before bed so I don't have to deal with the peeling dry and bleeding skin of the lips.

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!

Re:DAY 4 25 Dec 2008 18:00 #1552

• TheFastDoctor
Remember a bowel movement can consist largely of the intestinal endothelial cells (lining of the gut) that is continually replaced, whether you're eating or not..

Elimination of toxins happens all the time, but we can enhance it by following the specific sequence of activities I described several times before on these forums.

Itching skin could indicate that 'toxins' have been 'referred' to the skin for elimination but haven't left the body yet. See if an intense heat treatment (sauma/very hot shower) followed by cold (pluge pool/cold shower) helps.

As long as the tongue is white it implies there are still a lot of elimination to be performed. Keep up the 5-step cycles and it will likely happen faster.

Agree with happy holidays... for those not working!

André

DAY 5: FAST BROKEN: bad/good 26 Dec 2008 10:56 #1585

• Madison
  • Senior Boarder
4 1/2 days into my water fast and I failed my attempt to even make at least 7 days!

A LOT OF FACTORS: (fear, anxiety, etc)
- I started to get intense dreams every night, and last night was a startling dream about death, we are all going to die! And that was a childhood fear I had that grew with me.
- Since it was Christmas I went out with a friend, and all she kept talking about was food and about herself being fat, and I was around a lot of nice food smells, and when I got home of course the family had a feast and all the foods just stood there, leftovers and a TON of pastries! I wanted to eat all of the cream puffs right there because as a child cream puffs were my favorite! (but now I'm lactose intolerant, but i would have ate them anyways if i really gave up)
-I think the toxin build up or deep detoxification and major clean up was beginning, and instead of pulling through it I think I wimped out!!!!!!! :(

So I am deeply disappointed that I ended the water fast so early, next time I should plan on a 30 day water fast, and that way I'll probably end up finishing 7 -14 days, haha.

BUT THE GOOD side of it (or at least I am trying to look at it this way), is that I broke the fast with allllll fruit only! So I did not have a single food/meal/etc. besides fruit juice with a lot of some pulps which is why I don't think it was 100% juice since some pulp was in from all the fruits, so than it would kind of be like I ate some of the fruit.
The kind of bad was that I binged on the fruit juices ending my water fast:
1 fiji apple
2 huge oranges the size of 2 big fists put together
4 tangerines
1 great big size Whole bag of Red Grapes
and a small bag size Whole bag of Global Grapes

But than again I am happy at LEAST that I stuck it out with the fruit and didn't give in to all of the other foods sticking out on the tables.

Very strange it is now 2:50am, so I must have drank/ate all of that starting around 1 or 1:30 am to 2:30 am. A whole hour - hour 1/2 of refeeding myself with the juices.

So my plan now is to SWITCH from my water fast onto
A FRUIT JUICE/FRUIT PULP FAST! This I know I can do for a very long time, although I know I do get very very tempted with wanting to eat salty foods when I fruit fast for months of so, which I do not know why.

So starting tomorrow I guess I will switch to the juice fasting forums. Maybe if things get really good with the juice fasting, I may possibly switch back to water fasting, not sure. But my hip bones are already sticking out, which also gave me a little panic/anxiety which also was an attributing factor mentally to break the water fast.
But now that I am drinking calories, I will also begin light exercising and going back to my gym, which I missed, yay.

Re:DAY 5: FAST BROKEN: bad/good 26 Dec 2008 11:10 #1586

• Madison
  • Senior Boarder
3:06 am update, so it has been approximately 30 minutes after ending the intake of juices/pulps (and also right after I posted above), and I had an immediate bowel movement of like slime or clumps of discharges that needed to take place I guess, which I think is another attribution to why my body felt the need to drink something like grapes, maybe in a form of a stool softener. Either ways I feel so much better, and feel like I can continue my water fast, but does that mean that it is day 1 again?
or is intermittent juice and water fasting okay as well?
or is that bad, because I know that the first few days of water fasting still eats the protein or muscles the more percentage wise before switching to more fat consuming percentage, so would i be just eating away my muscles.
confusing. but intermittent water and juice fasting is what i think i will do, so i guess i'll stick to my posts here.

Re:DAY 5: FAST BROKEN: bad/good 26 Dec 2008 14:11 #1589

• TheFastDoctor
Don't be hard on yourself. A 5 day fast is wonderful! Rather see fasting as part of your lifestyle, and do as MANY fasts as you can, rather than one long fast.

The catabolic or 'fasting metabolism' remains available for up to 10-14 days after becoming active, so it is much easier to get into fasting again if you resume within a week. If you ate only for one day, you could actually consider the fast to be a continuation with a short break. Your catabolic enzymes (Those converting fat to ketones for energy) is still active, so there's no reason for your body to switch back to muscles/protein, unless your diet was rich in proteins.

If you want to make sure, just have a fatty meal upon restarting the fast, thus forcing the body onto a fat based metabolism before stopping feeding it. But avoid protein in short periods of eating so you don't stimulate protein breakdown.

André

Re:DAY 5: FAST BROKEN: bad/good 26 Dec 2008 15:30 #1590

• Madison
  • Senior Boarder
Dr. I just messed up really bad...
I thought I was under control, but I gave in! Why is it that when it is apparent that I needed this water detox, that my body craved and wanted the bad things the most?
From around 6 or 6:30 am until now 7:20am I literally ate
-The two big cream puffs, a WHOLE bag of chocolate chip cookies plus 2 other kinds of big fat cookies, some spicy Asian vegetables, a WHOLE Fish, EGGS, 2 glasses of milk, 1 whole baked Yam, 1-2 cups of Pumpkin Porridge which is basically all sugar and rice, ketchup & sauces and a bowl of sticky rice (all weird exotic left overs from my families potluck for Christmas) with a lot of guilt and unsatisfaction.
I actually feel really heavy, bloated, and not good at all now. I wish I could turn back the hands in time, and take all this back...!

Is it bad to start another water fast after this crazy episode?
I just don't understand how I fell into bad habits all of a sudden this time of year, I don't even dare eat or touch cookies, milk products, etc.

But i would seriously like to start another water fast starting today, like right now... I would say since it's 7:30 am, to say I started at around 8 am, is this bad to try another water fast after this crazy episode?
Is this common to happen?

Re:DAY 5: FAST BROKEN: bad/good 26 Dec 2008 16:01 #1591

• TheFastDoctor
Actually this is an IDEAL re-stimulus of your fat catabolism to kick-start the next fast! I sometimes specifically prescribe the type of stuff you had to people on intermittent fasting.. for 2 reasons:

1. Re- 'kickstart' the fat digestive/breakdown process

2. 'prime' the processing of toxins, so it happens faster tomorrow.

thus it would be an excellent idea to have a fast tomorrow. You can turn this to your advantage that way.

This is indeed a common occrrence and no one is immune to it. Just accept it was your body asking for the re-stimulus and it will now proceed with detox even more efficiently.

André

Re:DAY 5: FAST BROKEN: bad/good 26 Dec 2008 16:09 #1592

• Madison
  • Senior Boarder
OK thank you!
God I feel like an idiot, I also forgot to mention I had chicken, and black bean pudding with a lot of sugar added, and I guess that just doesn't matter now does it since I learned from this, and hopefully will continue on a better water fast starting now!
I will start a new post topic in the water fasting forums after finishing a new Day 1, god I still feel so pathetic, hard work I feel down the drain, and the weight loss at least didn't go exactly all the way back up, actually half of it or a little more than half did go back up. But I am more determined now, and I realize how much this fasting process is very personal and would be better if I just concentrated on myself and not go out and intermingle with all the various temptations and other people making it harder. I should meditate and try to stay indoors and move around inside cleaning my room or journaling.
Okay I will attack this second attempt more efficiently and wisely.
Thanks Dr!

Re:DAY 5: FAST BROKEN: bad/good 26 Dec 2008 16:11 #1593

• Meditating
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Dear Enlightenment, you sound like the monologue criticizing me in my head after I eat something I shouldn't have, except the really horrendous stuff was filtered out. I do hope that isn't going on inside your head. If so, remember it is always important to be kind to ourselves and try to understand why we have done something like that. Careful thought will always do more to get us on the right path than sponsoring our sense of failure. I would never intentionally abuse someone else but often abuse myself with that internal ridiculing about how I use food to injure myself. Food is my drug. It would be great if I could just quit, but it may be the only addiction where you can't.

I am just learning about fasting so I am certainly not an expert. One thing I hang onto that I read here - you can always begin again. It is that simple! When you screw up you can begin a new fast, be it now or in the future. I think the Fast Doctor can speak more to the best timing given your circumstance.

I was doing so well with a 14 day fast (I stumbled once with some juice and pears) and I was really proud of myself. I had that monthly hormonal swing and bang - I was knee deep in chocolate. Well then I stopped my fast because I couldn't bear the idea of resisting all the holiday festivities, which are always centered around food. I didn't think I could hang on to it during the holidays so I fashioned a workaround. Today, I begin again.

From what I have read, how you break the fast is important. When I went whole hog chocolate, I have eaten more crap since then than I have eaten in the last 18 months. I think I was using the idea that the next fast would cover me so it was okay. But once I had all that sugar, which I rarely eat, I was just insane for the stuff. Perhaps when we break a fast we tend to crave the food types we used. I don't know but now that I think about it, that would make sense in my case.

Anyway, the Fast Doctor will come along soon and probably comment on what is best for you to do, but either way, it isn't the end, you have learned something from this if you think about it, and you can start another fast. It is just part of the process of getting your life under control. I think it is actually a good thing. Wink.

Re:DAY 5: FAST BROKEN: bad/good 26 Dec 2008 16:24 #1594

• TheFastDoctor
You're SO right, Meditating.. I see you have learned a lot from first hand experience. Guilt feelings does more damage than the 'transgression' itself.. if you feel guilty about eating something, you experience stress and if you do, you don't really enjoy what you are eating, so you don't become satisfied, so you need more.. and your digestive system is all shut down due to the stress response.

So I advise, IF you are going to eat something anyway, you'd do a LOT better by doins so CONSCIOUSLY. One approach is that you may eat whatever you want, BUT you have to lay a plate, knife and fork, and sit down to eat. Then, you may not talk or chew or swallow with a knife or fork in your hands.. and perhaps close your eyes to enhance the sensitivity of your taste organs, and chew slow (one second per chewing movement) and THOROUGHLY extract all taste from the food before you swallow it. Savour it all the way, and the satisfaction from a small volume will equal or exceed what you would have had from a big plate 'on the run'.

Plus: Convince yourself your body needed the re-stimulation in order to protect the muscles, it needed to re-establish fat metabolism. And it needed the junk to 'open up' the cells in which your body stores junk, so that this can be flushed during your next fast.

André

Re:DAY 5: FAST BROKEN: bad/good 26 Dec 2008 20:02 #1601

• Madison
  • Senior Boarder
I totally agree with you, and understand where you are coming from. And I also read the DR's response below.
I am thinking I should just get me some chocolate and really taste it, and have my digestive systems stimulated again, than restart my water fast tonight, because I already feel myself obsessing over my "failure" and now just wanting more bad stuff, but if I can just eat one or two bars and be stimulated and happy, I believe I will be happy enough and satisfied to recontinue my fast tonight. And like yourself, I also used the fast as an excuse to go all out indulging, :(

I wont use this small outfall as an excuse to indulge even more but to just buy one or two bars instead of like 15, and be satisfied and continue my fast.

Thanks for your input means alot!
<3
Madison
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds