Registered Today
-

Supplement Ripoffs

Introduction to Fasting Part 1

Introduction to Fasting Part 2

Audio Interview

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How to break correctly a 7 day water fast?

Share a thread across all social networks and email

Bookmark and Share

How to break correctly a 7 day water fast? 18 May 2010 12:29 #4578

• kbikov
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi All,

This past Sunday, May 16, was the last day of my 7 day water fast. Everything went well during the fast. If you are interested please read my blog, which was published on this site on May 17. I am still in the breaking period after the fast and I am still not clear how to do it right. I have read different opinions and I am confused:
  • I have read somewhere to eat a few pieces of orange every 30 minutes. Yet, others caution not to eat oranges because they are too acidic.
  • Many recommend drinking raw juices. However, some people say don't mix fruits and vegetable juices, while others say the opposite.
  • I have also read that drinking vegetable broth should be fine.
  • Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the various recommendations to include yogurt and kefir since they are probiotic foods that are "easily digestible".

I want to point also that I don't have a juicer and I don't plan on buying one as much as I want to because good ones are not cheap and because it takes a humongous amount of produce to make one cup of juice. Besides, I feel that so much of the fruit/vegetable is wasted by juicing. On the same not, I don't think I can afford to buy freshly squeezed juice from the store.

With all this in mind, I would like to hear your opinions. What worked for you and what didn't? Is there a right and wrong way of breaking a fast? What are some of the pitfalls and dangers of breaking a 7-day water fast incorrectly?

Thank you in advance for your enlightenment!

Kal
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:How to break correctly a 7 day water fast? 21 May 2010 10:47 #4581

• TheFastDoctor
  • Thank you received: 654
Hi Kal.. interesting "do's" and "Dont's" indeed. I wonder where those wisdoms found their roots..!

For example: When in a food a "Fruit" and when is it a "vegetable"? And when did the body read the dictionary to know the difference?

Amongst all these advices, only one really holds: Biofeedback. Your body in your environment at your stage of life holds information just not available in the book in the shop written in the study..

This thing about oranges and "acid" for example.. does the auther realize that the body is built of proteins, and proteins are built of amino ACIDS? Yes indeed we are made of acids: The "A" in "DNA" stands for "Acid"! Such author should indicate which acids in an orange would be a problem.. I have been breaking thousands of my fasts on orange (usually freshly squeezed)..

Thus, even though I also give guidance advice for people who ask, the gold standard remains what your body "asks" of you. Provided that your craving is not misled by synthetic colours, flavours or other additives, then what you feel good about is likely what will be good for you.

And.. no 2 fasts need to end in the same way.. Variety is the spice of life!

André
All my posts are "generic", based on my opinions and experiences only and are not intended to replace the advice of your own licensed medical practitioner.

Re:How to break correctly a 7 day water fast? 04 Jun 2010 15:21 #4604

• kbikov
  • Fresh Boarder
Andre,
Thank you for your reply. Could you tell us a little bit about the dangers of breaking a fast incorrectly?
I am particularly interested because I transitioned to my normal diet quickly (w/n 3-4 days) and during the first 2 weeks after the fast I felt well. However, during the 3rd week, I became seriously nauseous on two occasions resulting with a visit to the ER. The ER found my electrolytes to be normal but in the lower range.
My mind is full with questions. Can all of this be related to my fast? Why am I nauseous all of a sudden 3 weeks after the fast and not earlier?
I am curious to hear what you have to say.

Re:How to break correctly a 7 day water fast? 05 Jun 2010 00:44 #4607

• TheFastDoctor
  • Thank you received: 654
The word "correctly" and "incorrectly" pose a lot of problems. We are all different and go through different "biorhythms". I transition into a normal diet within one day, and never found that to be a problem. But then I do continue fasting EVERY week thus would not experience what it feels like to eat every day for more than 6 days...

Which electrolytes were low? If you are over-hydrated, all electrolytes will be low.

Unlikely indeed that 3 weeks later anything will be related to the fast, but you may still be mobilizing old toxins which could contribute to the nausea..

Consider doing elimination cycles, even if you are not fasting. They really do wonders...

André
All my posts are "generic", based on my opinions and experiences only and are not intended to replace the advice of your own licensed medical practitioner.
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds