Introduction to Fasting Part 2

Supplement Ripoffs

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Gastritis, stomach acid complaints and fasting

Share a thread across all social networks and email

Bookmark and Share

Gastritis, stomach acid complaints and fasting 26 Feb 2011 12:19 #5960

Hi, im a long time reader first time poster. Was wondering if anyone out there has had any positive experiences from water fasting on the stomach or knew a bit more about its effect on the stomach lining, like can it reset your stomach ph levels? I've had chronic gastritis for about 5 monthes now, so far ive only been able to do 1 day fasts. Its difficult to know if its benefiting because having no food in my stomach appears to aggrevate pain but maybe i just need to wait it out a bit longer. I definatley feel other benefits like better blood flow etc. A bit worried about doing a long fast though as i am quite underwieght 50 kilos at 178cm. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Gastritis, stomach acid complaints and fasting 26 Feb 2011 23:34 #5962

• TheFastDoctor
  • Thank you received: 675
Thank you for the post dear Enthusiasticfaster!

Fasting has 2 effects on stomach acid:

1. Initially the absence of food means that the acid is not neutralized and this can irritate the stomach. More so if you have the "civilized" habit of eating at certain times. Like Pavlov's dogs, knowing the time causes acid to be produced.

2. Once the stomach "learns" that food does not come at a certain time, it tends to wait for the food before making acid. Unopposed acid creates a "feedback" to suppress further acid formation.

I have thus had some success in treating even overt stomach ulcers with fasting, by "de-programing" the autonomous production of acid this way. But sometimes one has to use medicine to suppress it initially.

If your stomach hurts, it is likely better to suppress acid production with something like a PPI (Proton pump inhibitor) which I understand can now be bought in certain countries without prescription. This should be necessary only for a short period of time until the feedback is established.

Yes you do indeed appear underweight with a BMI of 15.8 (Anything under 18.5 is considered underweight) thus I agree you should not do a long fast. But the habit of regular fasting can actually be employed to help people gain weight because a rested stomach just digest so much better.

André
All my posts are "generic", based on my opinions and experiences only and are not intended to replace the advice of your own licensed medical practitioner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Christian144

Re: Gastritis, stomach acid complaints and fasting 08 Apr 2011 09:36 #6574

• Christian144
  • Senior Boarder
  • Hey, welcome to my profile. :D
I also have this issue, I have tried to fast for 9 months now, but have to break them after a few days, usually 1-3, due to acidity and stomach pain.

I appreciate you writing this, means more then I can say.
For me, I will start to retrain the body, eating meals at different times. If I may, I have a questions: I am anxious to fast, how long does the retraining usually take your patients? Thanks for your help.

Best wishes..

Respectfully,
Joseph

Re: Gastritis, stomach acid complaints and fasting 08 Apr 2011 10:32 #6575

Turns out I have pancreatic insufficiency and since taking these pig enzymes my gastritis has become under control, no more proton pump inhibitors which ive been taking for ages now. The inability to absorb food by an impaired pancreas is also whats been making me so underwieght.

I found sipping hot water really beneficial for my gastritis, kind of settles the stomach. I started drinking 8 glasses hot water a day instead of room temp. Maybe you could include this into your fasting regime.

Re: Gastritis, stomach acid complaints and fasting 08 Apr 2011 10:52 #6576

• Christian144
  • Senior Boarder
I'm glad you found a solution to your fasting problem.
Thanks Enthusiasticfaster for writing, I am grateful for your feedback. I will diffidently try doing this. Usually I drink ice cold water and wait till I "feel" thirsty to drink, instead of getting a lot of liquid into me while fasting.. I thank you for your help. :)

Re: Gastritis, stomach acid complaints and fasting 08 Apr 2011 17:21 #6577

• TheFastDoctor
Hi Joseph Christian, please indulge me with a few questions.

1. How do you know that it is ACIDITY that causes the pain?
2. This "stomach pain": Where is it located? (Many people refer to the abdomen as the stomach.)

Do bear in mind that the stomach can also be irritated by acid ADEFICIENCY since this organ is designed to be filled with acid when you eat. The idea of "de-programming" the stomach can be very useful, since the stomach will then wait for food before making acid, instead of doing it on the habitual mealtime.

Thank you for your remarks also Enthusiasticfaster. I have often seen that both stomach and pancreatic enzyme deficiency goed un-diagnosed for a long time.. people appear to be ignorant of these.

We sho fast regularly find that the stomach always "wait for a meal" before making acid, and the pancreas can rest for a while, often enhancing its ability to regain some function.

André
All my posts are "generic", based on my opinions and experiences only and are not intended to replace the advice of your own licensed medical practitioner.

Re: Gastritis, stomach acid complaints and fasting 08 Apr 2011 20:27 #6579

• Christian144
  • Senior Boarder
Hello André,

Thanks for giving me your written support. :)
I'm not to familiar with the bodies mechanics, but from what I gained in knowledge, in the last few months, I found out were the stomach actually is. Near the lower rib cage, in the solar plexus area..

When I fast it burns like/feels like, how "heart burn" gets. Only in my stomach area. It gets to the point, were I have to throw up, if I fast for longer then a 1-3 days; This area in my body is also painful during fasting, feels like a knife is in me, when I fast.

Heard so many great healings through fasting so, having my self, hinder my recover has been very frustrating. I have never heard of a lack of acid causing this problem. In my case, due to the herbal acid reducing supplements, I take, (I also have this problem when not fasting, though not as bad,) which help, I think it probably is to much acid, instead of to little.

Many thanks for all the feedback and support you have given me.
All the best..

Respectfully,
Joseph

Re: Gastritis, stomach acid complaints and fasting 08 Apr 2011 20:40 #6580

• Christian144
  • Senior Boarder
I was thinking..
André, if I just fast in small amounts, like a day, then start eating after that for two days, would that work? That is, until I get my stomach acid to function normally. The hot water, could help, the stomach retraining, I believe, could fix this. But in the mean time, if I fasted 2-3 times a week, at 1 day intervals, (which I can handle,) would that help heal me and not damage me in any ways; Since, I know that is a lot of back and forth, between eating and not, during a week.

Thanks again!

Appreciatively,
Joseph

Re: Gastritis, stomach acid complaints and fasting 08 Apr 2011 20:56 #6582

• TheFastDoctor
May I suggest, dear Joseph, that you do a "therapeutic trial"?

Ask a pharmacist for an over-the-counter PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor) such as Omeprazole. Then, just before you expect the pain to start, take about 20-40 milligrams of this drug. If it aborts the feeling, that's proof it was caused by stomach acid.

I know drugs are bad but the knowledge gained this way, plus the likely ability to then see your fast through, outweighs the adverse effects.

And yes indeed it often works quite well to start with one day fasts and get your body used to it. This could also serve to "de-program" your acid production and divorce it from the clock.

André

André

Re: Gastritis, stomach acid complaints and fasting 09 Apr 2011 16:47 #6588

• Christian144
  • Senior Boarder
That sounds like a great thing to do for my issue. :) Your right, I should test run to see if this is the factor or not. The body is apart of me, but I do not fully know it.

That is a relief, if fasting in small doses can help retrain my stomach and it's digestion, I know that will be of great usefulness in what you advised. I'll first do what you said on deprogramming the stomach acid, with meals, and fasting, to see if that works first.

If not, I'll do the PPI. I do want, so much, to get better.

THANKS, André, for sharing your time and knowledge with me. :)

God Bless,
Joseph
Moderators: TheFastDoctor
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds