NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it. Learn more

I understand

This site runs on Joomla, and Joomla uses cookies for its basic technical operation. Like millions of other sites, we use Google Analytics to monitor site usage statistics, and Google Analytics uses cookies for its basic technical operation.

We make no other use of cookies at all. We do not use cookies to collect any personal information, and we do not use cookies for the purposes of marketing or advertising.

None of our Joomla extensions use cookies either, other than the regular Joomla ones.

Fasting Connection

Welcome to our fasting forum and intermittent fast support network

Search this site

Setting
  • Search area
    • Site
    • Web
  • Search type
    • Web
    • News
    • Video
  • Power by JLex

Visitors Counter

TodayToday528
YesterdayYesterday1468
This_WeekThis_Week3368
Guests 8
Now Online
-
Registered Today
-

Audio Interview

Introduction to Fasting Part 1

Introduction to Fasting Part 2

Supplement Ripoffs

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Vitamin C and fasting

Share a thread across all social networks and email

Bookmark and Share

Vitamin C and fasting 22 Jun 2012 21:18 #11189

• jema
  • Fresh Boarder
hello,

i would like to know what are the effects of taking vitamin C during a fast (about 5g/day)
(when i eat, i take this amount of vitamin C because i have an ankylosing spondylitis and vit C makes this disease silent)
is it desirable or not to take this vitamin C for the fast ?
thank you very much for your answer.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Vitamin C and fasting 23 Jun 2012 02:12 #11191

• TheFastDoctor
  • Thank you received: 703
Taking Vitamin C when you don't have an infection (or cancer) "teaches" your body to excrete vitamin C and thus can lead to a deficiency.

If you use it for AS and it helps, there's however no reason to stop during a fast, although fasting itself has such potent anti-inflammatory effects that you may take a "vitamin C holiday" to make your body more sensitive in future.

Perhaps you should try fasting with and without and see.. consider an "experiment".

André
All my posts are "generic", based on my opinions and experiences only and are not intended to replace the advice of your own licensed medical practitioner.

Re: Vitamin C and fasting 23 Jun 2012 10:12 #11198

• jema
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you very much for your answer.
i am thinking to a new fast, and this time, i will try with vitamin C to see any effect, and in this case I shall describe it here
i fast for my bph, not for decreasing my weight and although my fast was short (6.5 days) i have had some improvement and i must say it is thanks to fastingconnection.com and all the members who made me discover the fast.

Re: Vitamin C and fasting 10 Apr 2014 20:05 #21313

• David
  • Thank you received: 267
Here is another reason why not to take ascorbic acid (vitamin c) or at least being highly selective with your choice of vitamin C. And excellent vindication of the Doctor's assertions that "supplements are ripoffs"

www.thedoctorwithin.com/vitaminC/Ascorbi...id-Is-Not-Vitamin-C/
Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.

Re: Vitamin C and fasting 11 Apr 2014 14:52 #21319

• kaypeeoh
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
jema wrote:
Thank you very much for your answer.
i am thinking to a new fast, and this time, i will try with vitamin C to see any effect, and in this case I shall describe it here
i fast for my bph, not for decreasing my weight and although my fast was short (6.5 days) i have had some improvement and i must say it is thanks to fastingconnection.com and all the members who made me discover the fast.

BPH, benign prostatic hypertrophy? How did the fasting cause improvements?

Vitamin C is too hard on my stomach. I know there are buffered forms available but not locally.

kpo

Re: Vitamin C and fasting 11 Apr 2014 16:01 #21321

• TheFastDoctor
Indeed Calcium or Magnesium Ascorbate would be better than pure ascorbic acid during a fast but the first prize remains "no taste".

André
All my posts are "generic", based on my opinions and experiences only and are not intended to replace the advice of your own licensed medical practitioner.

Vitamin C and fasting 15 Jun 2014 01:46 #22121

• wag
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm glad someone brought this up and thanks to the doctor for your replies. I have been a vitamin C addict since I started taking it in 1972 after getting sick of suffering through one cold after another, each of them 10 days in length, with about 2-3 days of feeling well in between. I had little sisters 9 years younger than me who were bringing home every cold at school. I found that taking at least 3-4 grams a day eliminated my colds. Over the years, I have decided to try stopping taking it about four or five times, but each time felt so much better when I went back to it and got so few colds that I eventually gave in and even continued taking it during fasts. I was going to try very hard to knock it off this time. I took 6 grams this morning at 3 am and it helped me go back to sleep, but then initiated a bowel movement a half hour later so I had to get up and miss some more sleep. The main effect I find is that I absolutely cannot drop off to sleep if I haven't taken enough or any vitamin C that day or evening. It probably decreases cortisol and has other effects by increasing glutathione levels.

Now I do wonder if vitamin C un-does some of the positive effects of water fasting. I used to stop the vitamin C when fasting in the early years, 1980-2000, but later found I just could not sleep and it felt like the fasting was losing benefits by sleeplessness. I will see how it goes tonight. Finding this is helping me to feel stronger about not giving in to the supplement.

BTW, at some point in the late 90s I found that taking pure vitamin C, ascorbic acid, without minerals, was too harsh on the gut. It began to contribute to yeasty gut. So I began experimenting with taking calcium and magnesium with it and found that worked well. Today I usually combine ascorbic acid powder with potassium bicarbonate for a small dose and then later before bed I combine calcium ascorbate, magnesium ascorbate and a little bit of ascorbic acid. Sometimes also zinc, manganese, chromium, selenium and silica. I've tried going without any supplements for long periods, always felt strongly that I was better off when taking them, but not nec. every day. I appreciate the idea, but in this toxic world, with the stress levels we have and the quality of even organic foods not always that great, I feel like I can't get by without them.

Vitamin C and fasting 15 Jun 2014 09:32 #22128

• David
Thanks for your valuable input wag and a welcome to the site glad you found us.
From what you describe about your dependency on vitamin C it is making me think twice about getting into vitamin C therapy. I have spent the the past few weeks researching it and am in two minds about it. I read so much about how people who megadose on vitamin C benefit from it in similar ways to you. However what I fear is that the body would become dependent on it at the expense of other regulatory pathways. Agreed we do not manufacture vitamin C however there was a study which is cited on the Vitamin C Foundation forum where people who were completely taken off any form of Vitamin C continued to excrete it in their urine for days/weeks ? What does this imply? Your guess is as good as mine. However looking at the act of supplementing from a Natural Hygienic perspective it doesn't add up as nicely as the pharmaceuticals would have you believe. Where in nature do you find pure ascorbic acid? It is always combined with other nutrients and in its natural form is what the body recognises best no doubt. And do we know what the effects are of long term megadosing on ascorbic acid? According to a few members of the Vitamin C Foundation they have been doing it for years and only have positive things to say about it. One chap says he has consumed some 250 kgs of Ascorbic Acid since he started. Linus Pauling most probably also megadosed on it and he lived to a ripe old age. But is 90+ truly a ripe old age? Going off on a tangent here. A couple of other things to take into account which you are probably well aware of. Most vitamin C is manufactured in China and is made from GMO corn. And from what I have read I think it is unlikely that unbuffered ascorbic acid could cause fungal overgrowth in the stomach or small intestine as I have seen it recommended in various books/sites as a cure for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth esp when used in doses which exceed bowel tolerance.

Vitamin C and fasting 16 Jun 2014 08:12 #22154

• TheFastDoctor
Great post David. ANY addiction is characterized by the phenomenon that one feels bad when you do NOT take your "fix". Look at smokers, drug addicts, alcoholics. It is very difficult to distinguish the removal of bad feelings, from the adding of good feelings. I believe in most cases chemicals like vitamins are more involved in the former.

You are right about longevity.. some smokers have lived to 120 but does that make smoking good? So often it is "in spite of" but we translate it to "because of".

Most animals live 10 to 20 times their "fertility age". Human fertility age is... well, you could make your own calculations.

André

Vitamin C and fasting 25 Jun 2014 03:06 #22371

• wag
  • Fresh Boarder
These are all great points, and I know I said I am an "addict," but I was being a bit facetious there. It is true that there is a rebound effect if you have been taking vitamin C and stop suddenly. Pauling reassures that the enzymes and systems adjust and the need is lowered after awhile. I based my decisions to try it back in 1972 on Pauling's first book, "Vitamin C and the Common Cold."

Some of the most persuasive arguments he made were those that theorized that humans in nature (you could say Pauling was the first "paleo" guy, based on this) would have consumed several GRAMS of vit. C per day in primitive times and living in tropical areas. He also calculated that if we humans produced as many grams of vitamin C per kilogram of body weight as do all the animals that are able to produce their own, it would be several grams. Etc., etc. It is really a good book, tiny but succinct and I found the logic compelling.

I do not think we can possibly attain maximal health (or in my case, even moderately good health) in today's super-toxic world without the use of supplements like vitamin C, unless maybe you never had your tonsils removed (as I did), are running 15-20 miles a day like I did when I was 20 years old, and living primarily on organic fruit, which would put you in the poorhouse unless you are being paid for running half the day. I have found again and again that when exposed to toxins, especially things like cigarette smoke, taking a large dose of 5-6 grams of vitamin C + grapeseed and bioflavonoids dramatically expedites the detox process. (And a lot of water.)

If we lived in a paradise with clean air and pure water and fantastically nutritious organic food and low stress, I would say no need for nearly as much of these kinds of supplements. When I used to be lucky enough to get to go up to the northern woods in my home state of Wisconsin when I was younger (when my family shared a cabin there), I noticed that I needed to cut my dose of vit C drastically because it was so clean, my body didn't need it. I knew this by the loosened stools produced by the same amounts that normally had no such effect here in the filthy big city.

I do wonder if I have been taking it so long that the ability to adjust back down to lower amounts has been defeated, and this makes me feel sad, but I have gained so much of an advantage for so many years by taking C, I do not really regret it. I only regret that we live in such a toxic world that I have needed it.

Vitamin C and fasting 25 Jun 2014 04:56 #22375

• TheFastDoctor
Whilst it is undoubtedly true, dear Wag, that in our natural environment we had a different exposure to nutrients, we also had a different lifestyle. Thus our natural diet does not translate directly to what we need today.

I don't take "supplements". None. Zilts. Zero. (Well, 6 tablets of Zinc in the past 30 years; manufacturer recommended 2, 3 times per day ad infinitum)... the less we get of any nutrient, the more precious your body considers it to be and therefore the more you conserve it.

Of the more than 300 different nutrients we need... why focus on only one?

Fasting is the ideal intervention to "reboot" your system so you can safely revert to your natural needs...

André

Vitamin C and fasting 25 Jun 2014 10:12 #22383

• David
"Whilst it is undoubtedly true, dear Wag, that in our natural environment we had a different exposure to nutrients, we also had a different lifestyle. Thus our natural diet does not translate directly to what we need today."

Doctor in what way is our lifestyle different from our distant ancestors? If anything we are more overworked and more stressed would this not imply that we need more nutrients than our bipedal forebears?

"I don't take "supplements". None. Zilts. Zero. (Well, 6 tablets of Zinc in the past 30 years;"

Is your lifestyle not different to the average urbanite? From the images I have seen of your retreat you live in a very pristine environment with fresh air, organic GMO free food, clear spring water etc.

Vitamin C and fasting 25 Jun 2014 11:03 #22384

• TheFastDoctor
No dear David we are MUCH LESS "overworked"than our ancestors who had to struggle to find food every day, find shelter, protect themselves from omnipresent predators and barbarians, exposed to heat and cold and thirst and hunger and lions and tigers and barbarians...

Having a lot of chemicals already in your diet cannot be counter-acted by taking more chemicals, even if they are called (for marketing purposes) "nutrients" or any other name..

André
Moderators: TheFastDoctor
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds