NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it. Learn more

I understand

This site runs on Joomla, and Joomla uses cookies for its basic technical operation. Like millions of other sites, we use Google Analytics to monitor site usage statistics, and Google Analytics uses cookies for its basic technical operation.

We make no other use of cookies at all. We do not use cookies to collect any personal information, and we do not use cookies for the purposes of marketing or advertising.

None of our Joomla extensions use cookies either, other than the regular Joomla ones.

Fasting Connection

Welcome to our fasting forum and intermittent fast support network

Search this site

Setting
  • Search area
    • Site
    • Web
  • Search type
    • Web
    • News
    • Video
  • Power by JLex

Visitors Counter

TodayToday381
YesterdayYesterday1296
This_WeekThis_Week381
Guests 13
Now Online
-
Registered Today
-

Audio Interview

Introduction to Fasting Part 1

Introduction to Fasting Part 2

Supplement Ripoffs

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fasting and Epilepsy

Share a thread across all social networks and email

Bookmark and Share

Fasting and Epilepsy 15 Apr 2008 04:15 #666

• TheFastDoctor
  • Thank you received: 698

Please bear in ming the term \"epilepsy\" includes a vast array of different conditions, from \"absences\" to grand mal seizures. There are also a large variety of causes, from metabolic disease to scars on the brain surface.

ALL people have \"thresholds\" of electrical potential wthat would trigger an epileptic fit. Mine could be 200 volts, whereas an \"epileptic\" could be 20 volts. The threshold is reduces by disease, alcohol and malnutrition, to mention but a few.

Epilepsy is a form of uncontrolled spread of electrical activity over the brain surface, a kind of \"short-circuit\" of the complex electrical pathways of the brain cell membranes.

One of the most potent stabilizers of these membranes is Ketones.

I remember my professor in Paediatrics, back in the early 1980's, put a child on a 80% fat/oil based diet. This was the only intervention that controlled the epilepsy, after all combinations of maximal medication failed. The rationale is that practically all energy then comes from ketones, and these act like insulators on the cell membranes.

I have never seen a ketotic patient develop a convulsion. It is however still possible, if the \"voltage\" is high enough. I therefore NEVER advise the discontinuation of anti-epileptic medicine before the condition has been stabilized for several months or even years.

To remain permanently ketotic on a healthy diet is impossible.. as a healthy diet is based on carbohydrate, not fat (or protein for that matter). Regular fasting does stimulate our ability to produce ketones at short notice, however, and this could be protective.

André
All my posts are "generic", based on my opinions and experiences only and are not intended to replace the advice of your own licensed medical practitioner.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: TheFastDoctor
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds