Copyright 2017 - Custom text here
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Has fasting ever caused diabetes?

Has fasting ever caused diabetes? 30 Jul 2008 15:50 #1120

• Kcat
  • User is blocked
Hi,

I recently heard a doctor on TV (some brief clip in a newscast) who was really against fasting. His reasoning was that fasting, especially on The Master Cleanser diet, sets up conditions in the body similar to diabetes.

This was not heartening, but it didn't sound right, either. Has anyone ever heard of fasting causing diabetes?

Thanks,

Kcat
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Has fasting ever caused diabetes? 02 Aug 2008 12:06 #1131

• TheFastDoctor
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 711
I have studied several thousand people during fasting and in ALL of them, the dendency towards diabetes was reversed: Blood sugar became lower not higher. The only complication I ever encountered relating to diabetes was when a chiropractor oversaw an insulin dependent diabetic fasting, stopped her Insulin and gave her enemas! I had to salvage her via some time in intensive care units.

I note the Master Cleanser Diet contain maple syrup. This is very high in sugars and exposure to sugars can theoretically trigger diabetes. It should however not do so unless in really excessive dosages. Still, I prefer a puritan approach to fasting.. pure water only.

On a cellular level we actually TRY to set up conditions with some \"similarities to diabetes\" .. such as low sugar content within the cells. This is a way of conditioning the cells, like exercise does for muscles. This would indeed build resistance to the later development of diabetes, definitely not cause it!

The similarity is that in both cases the sugar levels INSIDE the cells are low. Bear in mind however that during fasting, the blood sugar levels OUTSIDE the cells are low also .. the opposite of diabetes.

André
All my posts are "generic", based on my opinions and experiences only and are not intended to replace the advice of your own licensed medical practitioner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SolonHH

Re:Has fasting ever caused diabetes? 02 Aug 2008 15:19 #1133

• Kcat
  • User is blocked
Thanks, Dr. André, this is reassuring.

It's good to know that fasting causes conditions opposite to diabetes!

Blessings,

Kcat

Re:Has fasting ever caused diabetes? 09 Jan 2013 16:13 #14801

• ricky1
  • User is blocked
Hello Guys Diabetics may using slices of bananas and avocados to balance the blood vessels sugar levels.The trick to balancing blood sugar levels is drink smaller amounts of juice timed 20 to 30 minutes apart. While fasting sugar is the amount of sugar in the blood after eight hours or more without eating.Thanks a lot!!

Re:Has fasting ever caused diabetes? 09 Jan 2013 16:42 #14802

• TheFastDoctor
  • User is blocked
Indeed dear Ricky a diabetic can use various foods to help stabilize the blood sugar. But when they fast, they become, like all of us, practically independent of blood sugar. Thus once the metabolism is coached into the fasting state, a diabetic needs not be treated any different from any other person, except to be monitored more closely. If they do enough exercise they are, like all of us, insulin independent during the fast.

André
All my posts are "generic", based on my opinions and experiences only and are not intended to replace the advice of your own licensed medical practitioner.

Re:Has fasting ever caused diabetes? 09 Jan 2013 16:56 #14804

• ricky1
  • User is blocked
The Fast Doctor wrote:
Indeed dear Ricky a diabetic can use various foods to help stabilize the blood sugar. But when they fast, they become, like all of us, practically independent of blood sugar. Thus once the metabolism is coached into the fasting state, a diabetic needs not be treated any different from any other person, except to be monitored more closely. If they do enough exercise they are, like all of us, insulin independent during the fast.

André

Hello i think that you have a huge knowledge about that.Thanks!

Re:Has fasting ever caused diabetes? 13 Jan 2013 11:42 #14891

• David
  • Thank you received: 281
just a test
Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.

Has fasting ever caused diabetes? 14 Jan 2013 04:20 #14897

• Dedov
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello everyone,

I'm happy to be with you again after a long time. I am in day 12 of a water fast and I just took my blood sugar test - 112. The normal(as per my doctor) is 70-90. Can anyone (may be the Fast Doctor) explain this: no food for 12 days and blood sugar higher than normal? Thank you!

Has fasting ever caused diabetes? 14 Jan 2013 05:39 #14899

• TheFastDoctor
  • User is blocked
Blood sugar is normally between about 3.5 and 6.5 mmol/l. But it can vary.. I have measured it as low as 1.7 without obvious side effects. We get concerned if it is over 8, and diagnose diabetes if it is over 10 on more than one occasion.

I have seen quite a few cases of high blood sugar during a fast: The body turns a large part of the fat molecules into blood sugar. If you don't use it, it will build up. That's why I support the active fast.

Blood sugar is also increased by the stress hormones (all of them!) so if you find the fast stressful or if you stress in anticipation of the test, that would contribute.

But it's part of a very complex interaction of physiological factors. The gold standard is to perform a glucose tolerance test.

André

Re:Has fasting ever caused diabetes? 14 Jan 2013 12:10 #14903

• ricky1
  • User is blocked
ricky1 wrote:
Hello Guys Diabetics may using slices of bananas and avocados to balance the blood vessels sugar levels.The trick to balancing blood sugar levels is drink smaller amounts of juice timed 20 to 30 minutes apart. While fasting sugar is the amount of sugar in the blood after eight hours or more without eating.Thanks a lot!!

Anaheim Hills fitness

Re:Has fasting ever caused diabetes? 14 Jan 2013 12:40 #14906

• TheFastDoctor
  • User is blocked
These people claim:

"Your metabolism will skyrocket, and you’ll burn tons of extra calories – even while you SLEEP".

Now I will DEFINITELY not do a program like that! A fast metabolism means a turbocharged rate of aging. What we aim for with fasting is to slow down Anabolism while activating Catabolism to turn fat back to energy. We don't need to damage the body doing that!

André
The following user(s) said Thank You: SolonHH
Moderators: TheFastDoctor
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds