Copyright 2017 - Custom text here
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Can Diabetics fast safely?

Can Diabetics fast safely? 11 Dec 2007 21:47 #337

• David
  • Thank you received: 281
Fasting can be used in diabetes and can acutally be quite effective in lowering the resistance to Insulin. Very often, however, we find that there is a short \"honeymoon\" period at the start of the fast, with aften a few days of total insulin independence, but after the 3rd to 4th day many patients need a bit of insulin support.

The bottom line: Every diabetic patient is a unique \"case\" and should be managed \"hands-on\" when fasting. Close monitoring should include laboratory facilities for measuring blood sugar accurately, as well as electrolytes (Na, Ka, Cl, Ca, Mg, etc.) and, most importantly, arterial blood pH.

With all this and a qualified or knowledgeable supervisor, fasting can be about the best thing a diabetic can do. Without the appropriate supervision it can be fatal.

André
Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Diabetics on Raw Food You Tube video 01 Feb 2008 19:56 #500

• David
  • Thank you received: 281
I found this YouTube video where a number of diabetics where put on a 30 day raw food regime and the results speak for themselves. Please check it out:

David
Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.

Re:Diabetics on Raw Food You Tube video 12 Apr 2008 04:51 #657

• TheFastDoctor
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 711

Excellent reference, confirms what we;ve experienced for decades.. OF COURSE diabetis is curable, particularly type II or NIDDM. Type I will only be \"curable\" if it is treated very early in the disease, and then one needs to stick to a regularly fasting lifestyle to maintain this, and of course avoid whatever triggered it off..

André
All my posts are "generic", based on my opinions and experiences only and are not intended to replace the advice of your own licensed medical practitioner.

Re:Diabetics on Raw Food You Tube video 12 Jan 2013 17:13 #14879

• ricky1
  • User is blocked
Hello Guys i think that though a diabetic issues should always seek advice from doctor before going through a fast of any length.One big factor is whether your diabetic issues is diet-controlled or managed thru medication.
If your diabetic issues is being managed totally through diet and you have not achieved the point where you are taking medication to control the symptoms, you are better best for going on a fast as a suffering from diabetic issues.Thanks a lot!

Re:Diabetics on Raw Food You Tube video 13 Jan 2013 08:54 #14886

• TheFastDoctor
  • User is blocked
You refer, dear Ricky, to type 1 and type 2 diabetes but of course many type 2's also need medication, eventually even insulin if they allow the pancreas to "burn out" under the burden of excessive demand.

I often have medicine dependent diabetic patients fasting here. Close observation is necessary yes but they tend to do very well indeed.

André
All my posts are "generic", based on my opinions and experiences only and are not intended to replace the advice of your own licensed medical practitioner.

Can Diabetics fast safely? 11 Feb 2014 10:07 #20160

Recently we had a patient in Budapest, Hungary, diagnosed with diabetes II type, advanced stage (female, age 56). As she had had fasting experience before, was willing to do a longer fast and a preliminary cardiological checkup did not show contraindications, we decided to try 2 weeks of water fasting plus another week of low-calorie diet on juices.
Her fasting was in fact changed to a low-calorie diet on the 12th day, as regular blood sugar level checks showed a low glucose level. At the end of the three-week period, she dropped 9 kilogrammes and had lower blood pressure, and overall health condition got improved.

Can Diabetics fast safely? 11 Feb 2014 17:17 #20164

• TheFastDoctor
  • User is blocked
Bear in mind dear Fastingpb, that it is NORMAL to have low blood sugar on a fast and that is NOT a reason to break the fast. A large part of the "place" or function of sugar is taken over by Ketones during a fast.

Losing weight is paramount to (trying to) reverse type II diabetes and is likely even more effective if done by fasting.

Now this should simply become part of her lifestyle to have permanent benefits.

André

Can Diabetics fast safely? 11 Feb 2014 19:03 #20171

• Ockeghem
  • User is blocked
  • University Professor - Librarian and Musicologist
  • Thank you received: 230
TheFastDoctor wrote:
Bear in mind dear Fastingpb, that it is NORMAL to have low blood sugar on a fast and that is NOT a reason to break the fast. A large part of the "place" or function of sugar is taken over by Ketones during a fast.

Losing weight is paramount to (trying to) reverse type II diabetes and is likely even more effective if done by fasting.

Now this should simply become part of her lifestyle to have permanent benefits.

André

André,

I think I knew this about fasting and blood sugar levels, but it is still good to see you write what you did. After going without an ounce of food for forty-two days recently, I can't imagine that I had any glucose / glycogen left in my body. It's quite interesting to me too how good I felt throughout that fast.
Areas of specialty and interests: Canon and Fugue; Greek and Latin language and literature; Marathoning and Ultramarathoning; Martial Arts (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Shotokan {Kissaki-Kai} Karate); Medieval and Renaissance music notation; Television series (All In the Family; Charmed, Dark Shadows, Lost, The Outer Limits, Roswell, Star Trek); Theology; Twelfth- and thirteenth-century conductus,...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elizabeth C
Moderators: TheFastDoctor
Time to create page: 0.368 seconds