Copyright 2017 - Custom text here
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Testing for diabetes while fasting.

Testing for diabetes while fasting. 15 Jan 2008 22:21 #389

• Andrew
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1
My father has type 2 late onset diabetes, fairly mildly and well controlled. I had the frequent urinating symptom of it while I was obese for at least a year or more before I started these fasts. I was literally in the loo like a pregnant woman, or not so much because it wasn't with a small amount but usually with a lot, and several times overnight too.

I assumed it was all the soft drinks I drank but did think about the diabetes connection. I just didn't follow it up for the same reason I never checked if I had lung cancer while I was smoking- I knew I was doing damage but I didn't want to know what it was!

Anyway, considering the fact that I'm fasting and refeeding almost constantly at the moment, is there any way of testing for diabetes while I am doing this? I am fasting now but if my willpower, which has been like water lately, fails me again and I'm refeeding again in a few days, can I test myself and get a fair reading during refeeding or will it be inaccurate for some reason?

Andrew.
\\"Truth is often painful, but ignorance is never bliss.\\"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Testing for diabetes while fasting. 17 Jan 2008 05:06 #391

• TheFastDoctor
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 711
Hi Andrew. The \"good\" news about early Diabetes is that yes, you can test for it. Long before the blood sugar starts increasing and very long before it shows up in the urine, the blood Insulin level starts increasing in potential Type II diabetes. This test is very sensitive and accurate.

We perform what is called the Quicky Index, simply a calculation performed on blood sugar and insulin levels determined on the same sample, preferably fasting. If you want an even more accurate investigation, you determine blood sugar and insulin serially after drinking a standarized volume (usually 70 grams) of purified glucose (blood sugar). In research conditions the glocuse may even be administered intravenously.

Some very new research has found peaking insulin levels in people at risk, appearing as soon as 5 to 10 minutes after exposure to glucose. But ask your doctor (and insist if necessary!) to do at the very least a baseline blood sugar/insulin level. After losing weigh and/or changing lifestyle, you may have this repeated to confirm healing.

André
All my posts are "generic", based on my opinions and experiences only and are not intended to replace the advice of your own licensed medical practitioner.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: TheFastDoctor
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds