• Page:

TOPIC: natural methods for mobilising fat

natural methods for mobilising fat 30 Sep 2012 13:08 #12800

• Chelsea Girl
  • User is blocked
  • Lawyer & Hobby Sports Science Student
  • Thank you received: 31
Brilliant short answer, Doc!

Cold bathing/showering (15 to 20 degrees celsius) boosts both adrenaline and noradrenaline. Blood rushes to the cold areas, pushing up your blood pressure slightly. The quick change in temperature forces the heart to work harder. The colder you get, the more your body boosts heat production to keep you warm. As it does, some heat gets lost through skin. When you are losing heat, you are losing energy/calories. Being exposed to cold water for 5 to 15 mins could raise your metabolism (the speed that you burn calories) for 12 to 15 hours. Going below 15 degrees or longer than 15 mins isn't safe (hypothermia!).

The "feeling" of coldness varies depending on how much body fat you have and where you have it. Cold baths have an unusual effect on the female lower body. Some fat, specially in legs, is chemically stubborn. To lose this, it helps to get chemical stimulation - ie blast it with adrenaline and noradrenaline!
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science." - Albert Einstein
The administrator has disabled public write access.

natural methods for mobilising fat 30 Sep 2012 13:16 #12801

• David
  • Thank you received: 281
The "feeling" of coldness varies depending on how much body fat you have and where you have it. Cold baths have an unusual effect on the female lower body. Some fat, specially in legs, is chemically stubborn. To lose this, it helps to get chemical stimulation - ie blast it with adrenaline and noradrenaline!

The technical term for this is sitz bath they were invented by the Germans as was Kneip therapy.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitz_bath

I like the way you explain things so even a novice can grasp the topic.
Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.

natural methods for mobilising fat 30 Sep 2012 13:42 #12802

• Chelsea Girl
  • User is blocked
Thanks, David!! I didn't know about this. Cold SITZ BATHS are making a come back!

In this study, a cold bathing suit increased body fat fuel burning by 376%.. impressive!

www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/ebm/reco...glycogen_and_lipids_
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science." - Albert Einstein

natural methods for mobilising fat 30 Sep 2012 14:05 #12805

• Shant
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 33
Ok, timeout. I'm slow today...
Being exposed to water below 15 celsius degrees doesn't boost metabolism but anything around 15 does? Why 15? 15 isn't that cold. How about cryotherapy and exposing body to temperatures way below 0?

I don't get this.. FC has been supporting the benefits of slow metabolism ever since I remember. Now talking about boosting metabolism (incl. long time criticised caffeine intake) that is so so essential for weight loss.

natural methods for mobilising fat 30 Sep 2012 15:39 #12806

• Chelsea Girl
  • User is blocked
Being exposed to cold raises your metabolism (speed at which you burn calories). The main thing that lowers your metabolic rate is sleep. Temperatures below 15 degrees celcius would of course increase your metabolism, and so does exercise - even for up to 24 hours after intense exercise. A cold bath would increase your blood flow, speed up fat oxidation for heat production and provoke "elimination" (ie utilising or disposing of free fatty acids as the Doc describes it). It is not recommended for a bath to be colder than 15 C as this could potentially cause hypothermia. That's why the general safety rule is 15 to 20 C.

The Doc's philosophy, I think, is around having a low "basal" metabolic rate, which is the one that counts in terms of longevity. Quite different.

Doc, feel free to weigh in!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shant

natural methods for mobilising fat 30 Sep 2012 15:45 #12807

• Chelsea Girl
  • User is blocked
I thought to mention something else. I have a very low basal metabolic rate because of my hypothyroidism... and no matter how many cold baths or caffeine I take, it will stay low, low, low!

The same with fasting. Your basal metabolic rate decreases.

natural methods for mobilising fat 30 Sep 2012 16:35 #12808

• TheFastDoctor
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 711
Theory is that below 15 centigrade, you get cutaneous vasospasm - that is, the blood vessels in your skin closes down, thus stop the delivery of heat (energy) to your skin. Thus you lose less heat and your metabolism rate drops. In kids we even find that putting ice cold water on their skin when they have fever can cause the fever to increase! (Less radiation of heat).

Please bear in mind we are all different and most of us are alive, thus we don't always follow what "the textbook" says..

André
All my posts are "generic", based on my opinions and experiences only and are not intended to replace the advice of your own licensed medical practitioner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shant

natural methods for mobilising fat 30 Sep 2012 16:47 #12809

• Chelsea Girl
  • User is blocked
I wasn't aware of the vaso-spam reaction. Thank goodness you are around here Doc so we do things safely... like fasting, elimination cycle, etc.

natural methods for mobilising fat 30 Sep 2012 17:45 #12810

• Shant
  • User is blocked
The Fast Doctor wrote:
Theory is that below 15 centigrade, you get cutaneous vasospasm - that is, the blood vessels in your skin closes down, thus stop the delivery of heat (energy) to your skin. Thus you lose less heat and your metabolism rate drops. In kids we even find that putting ice cold water on their skin when they have fever can cause the fever to increase! (Less radiation of heat).

André

Life example: It's winter, 5 celsius degrees outside. Humid.
If I wear a jacket, tights, boots, no hat/gloves -> my head, legs (excl. feet), hands are exposed to the cold. These would always get colder than the rest of the body to prevent my organs, right? Does this mean that to prevent my lower body from storing fat (help redistribute that stored fat from lower body), I should keep my legs warm in winter months (and say, wear no jacket? :))

natural methods for mobilising fat 30 Sep 2012 19:03 #12813

• Chelsea Girl
  • User is blocked
If you want to lose lower body fat, wear skirts in the cold! Or try David's cold sitz bath! Legs contain a large number of cold receptors, so even just exposing them helps.

P.S. Never heard of "fat redistribution".... I did hear about "amino acid redistribution" to active muscles though.

natural methods for mobilising fat 30 Sep 2012 19:49 #12816

• Shant
  • User is blocked
Exactly, that's what I always thought. Thanks, Chelsea. It also explains why my legs look much better in winter as opposed to summer. I was discussing this topic several weeks ago when I complained about water retention in legs in hot weather.

natural methods for mobilising fat 30 Sep 2012 20:00 #12818

• Shant
  • User is blocked
Re. fat redistribution.. i put it in an anecdotal way. there are beliefs on Fasting connection that if you focus on massaging/keeping warm those areas where you want to lose more fat, it will help you lose more fat there. i've always believed that there can't be a spot reduction when it comes to fat loss. you either lose everywhere, or nowhere. the stubborn fat goes away the last, that's when the exposure to cold temperatures may be helpful.

natural methods for mobilising fat 30 Sep 2012 20:17 #12821

• David
The beliefs are explained in this FAQ topic www.fastingconnection.com/faq-about-fast...ur-body-with-fasting

natural methods for mobilising fat 30 Sep 2012 20:23 #12824

• Shant
  • User is blocked
-> under circumstances you're in ketosis.

I'm up for an experiment. During my 'OWF', I'll be massaging/keeping warm only one thigh.

natural methods for mobilising fat 30 Sep 2012 20:26 #12827

• David
lol that would be like me only shaving half of my beard :)

natural methods for mobilising fat 30 Sep 2012 20:29 #12828

• Shant
  • User is blocked
hahaha.. hilarious. halfMovemeber!

natural methods for mobilising fat 01 Oct 2012 01:55 #12837

• TheFastDoctor
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 711
Theory is that more fat will be mobilized from wherever more blood is flowing during ketosis. We typically use massage to direct the blood flow to the fat we wish to get rid of but you could likely achieve very much the same by keeping the target areas warm. Fat cannot be absorbed without blood flowing through so if you wish to maintain your lovely rosy round cheeks, keep them cold while you exercise while you are in ketosis...

André
All my posts are "generic", based on my opinions and experiences only and are not intended to replace the advice of your own licensed medical practitioner.

natural methods for mobilising fat 01 Oct 2012 22:07 #12867

• Chelsea Girl
  • User is blocked
Nice tips, Doc!

We love lovely rosy round cheeks!! :woohoo:

An alternative method I use for increased blood flow around my booty area: PowerPlate! I just sit on the platform letting it massage my legs and my cushy tushy whilst chatting away with my girlfriends. It's amazing how it clears out the lymph system, flushing out liquids, toxins and fatty acids. Even better after exercise! Drinking loads of water afterwards is very important!

natural methods for mobilising fat 01 Oct 2012 22:35 #12869

• David
And don't forget the Zen Chi machine which is also big medicine for thighs and hips but never looked at its potential in this light before.

natural methods for mobilising fat 01 Oct 2012 22:58 #12871

• Chelsea Girl
  • User is blocked
Nice!! I need to get one of those Zen Chi things too! can sit on it whilst typing/posting LoL

David - cool pic my friend, B) half buried????
  • Page:
Moderators: TheFastDoctor
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds