Copyright 2017 - Custom text here
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fasting fertility and pregnancy

Fasting fertility and pregnancy 30 Sep 2012 18:10 #12812

• David
  • Thank you received: 281
Female fertility may well be affected if there are no fat reserves and the body has to dip into other essential reserves for its daily requirements. On the flip side woman who have fertility issues may end up more fertile while on 010 as when the body's toxicity level is high then there can also be hormonal imbalance. Following a 010 IF routine is likely to lower body toxicity perhaps even heavy metals. But for more in depth understanding of this topic there should be a dedicated thread and site articles with peer review references.
Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Fasting fertility and pregnancy 01 Oct 2012 01:50 #12836

• TheFastDoctor
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 711
Perfectly correct dear David.. Fertility is switched on and off by a "barostat" or a weight measure of the female body, dear Chelsea. That's why for example the menarche is getting earlier as the population is getting heavier. Thus it does not matter HOW you lose weight, if you drop below a certain threshold, you may stop ovulating.

André
All my posts are "generic", based on my opinions and experiences only and are not intended to replace the advice of your own licensed medical practitioner.

Fasting fertility and pregnancy 01 Oct 2012 21:49 #12866

• Chelsea Girl
  • User is blocked
  • Lawyer & Hobby Sports Science Student
  • Thank you received: 31
Doc, thanks for confirming that. It makes sense that women looking for a baby need to be mindful of their on/off barostat. I did read somewhere that female elite athletes with less than 12% body fat stop ovulating.

I am curious. Were any of your fasting patients pregnant women or lactating mothers? If so, was fasting safe for the fetus and the mother? Where there any evident benefits, or negative consequences?

I haven't thought about this before........!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science." - Albert Einstein

Re: Fasting fertility and pregnancy 02 Oct 2012 08:16 #12891

• Shant
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 33
IMO, it depends on where women carry most of their fat deposits. I'd say women who are slightly more pear shaped, incl. myself, can stop ovulating at higher BF% than apple shaped as they carry more fat at the crucial areas of the body. I stopped ovulating last autumn at 57 kg, my min. weight was 53 in the winter months. This number doesn't mean I'd stop ovulating at 57 now because I have a different body composition.
After reaching my critical low level of BF caused by overtraining (I was hooked up), my appetite dramatically increased and I couldn't stop eating. It was mentally difficult to see myself getting chubbier, so I fasted. And thank goodness I did. Even though, I hated those days when I overate and then fasted, it worked wonders to regain my feminine body - it helped me store more fat around lower belly area and my period returned this spring. Not mentioning other benefits that came along.

Re: Fasting fertility and pregnancy 02 Oct 2012 09:04 #12892

• Shant
  • User is blocked
Chelsea, you seem to have read a lot on leptin. If I got this right, leptin is decreased by fasting, especially short term fasting. That's probably why Fast doctor recommends calorie/fat dense food before fasting. On the other hand, in people who already are leptin resistant, the brain doesn't get the message that there's enough stored fat even if there's is (in case they're obese). If this is correct, could fasting eventually cause infertility especially in leptin resistant women?

Re: Fasting fertility and pregnancy 03 Oct 2012 13:34 #12940

• Chelsea Girl
  • User is blocked
The protein Leptin is decreased by fasting, regular exercise, lack of sleep, psychological stress. But this doesn't mean you will be ravenous all the time; hunger is not regulated by Leptin alone. If this was the case, pharmaceutical companies would be selling Leptin injections like no other and obesity would no longer exist. Well, sadly, this is not the case. Thousands of environmental and endogenous factors play a role on hunger regulation.

I don't think the Doc recommends a high fat meal before fasting because of the Leptin decrease when fasting. A high fat meal before fasting has more to do with the transitioning from glucose to fat use for energy - ie becoming fat adapted.

Leptin sensitivity is not connected to fertility. In other words, Leptin resistance doesn't translate to infertility.

Leptin sensitivity is a term used for hunger signalling. Leptin sensitivity means that your hunger receptors will respond to Leptin and as a result suppress appetite. Conversely, being Leptin resistant means that your hunger receptors won't register Leptin's satiety signalling.

As Leptin levels rise with increased human adiposity, brain receptors are less sensitive to the satiation signalling of Leptin. This explains why overweight and obese people with high body fat are likely to be Leptin resistant. In fact, Leptin resistance is considered "an evolutionary advantage" that kept us around as a species. But a modern world disadvantage I would say!

In fact, the effects of either Leptin resistance (high body fat) and a fall in Leptin (fasting, exercise) are similar in evolutionary terms. The former indicating "gorge before the next famine" and the latter "move and find food to survive".

Here's an extract from a Leptin paper:
It is possible that leptin’s role as a starvation signal
conferred survival advantage during famine by limiting
thyroid-mediated thermogenesis and the high energy cost
of reproduction and promoting feeding and energy storage.
An increase in energy efficiency mediated
by low leptin prolongs longevity.

"High energy cost of reproduction"... Now this IS fertility compromised. Ori Hofmekler explains this as follows:
Fasting and intense exercise protocols, known to promote longevity, also lower estrogen level and thereby modulate body composition and suppress female reproductive capacity. This is apparently part of an early adaption mechanism to primordial conditions of food scarcity and hardship, which requires increased strength and durability on the account of reproductivity. Hence, hard conditions are not biologically suitable times for pregnancy and child bearing.
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science." - Albert Einstein

Re: Fasting fertility and pregnancy 03 Oct 2012 14:48 #12946

• Shant
  • User is blocked
Thanks, I'll try to process it. I still think there might be a link between leptin resistance and infertility for reasons I mentioned above.

Re: Fasting fertility and pregnancy 03 Oct 2012 14:56 #12947

• Chelsea Girl
  • User is blocked
Shant - can you elaborate on the link you are referring to? I don't really see the connection....

Re: Fasting fertility and pregnancy 03 Oct 2012 15:03 #12948

• Shant
  • User is blocked
the link between leptin resistance (in my logic, it's equivalent to critical levels of BF in females who are not underweight) and infertility. in people who already are leptin resistant, the brain doesn't get the message that there's enough stored fat even if there's is (in case they're obese). If this is correct, could fasting eventually cause infertility especially in leptin resistant women?

Re: Fasting fertility and pregnancy 03 Oct 2012 16:23 #12960

• Chelsea Girl
  • User is blocked
LoL you are using a bit of a mathematical reasoning here, rather than research, right? I am trying to dissect your paragraph:
the link between leptin resistance (in my logic, it's equivalent to critical levels of BF in females who are not underweight)
high BF = leptin resistant
in people who already are leptin resistant, the brain doesn't get the message that there's enough stored fat even if there's is (in case they're obese).
leptin resistant = ravenous
fasting eventually cause infertility especially in leptin resistant women
fasting = ravenous
fasting = infertility
infertility = leptin resistant
infertility = high BF

I don't think it works this way. But good try!

Re: Fasting fertility and pregnancy 03 Oct 2012 23:51 #12966

• Shant
  • User is blocked
http://imgur.com/yPN35

Regarding to what you say based on research and to what the fast doctor says and to what i say I thought it could work like this.. See the pic.

Nevermind!

Re: Fasting fertility and pregnancy 04 Oct 2012 08:32 #12975

• Chelsea Girl
  • User is blocked
nice graph, LoL

Leptin resistant and leptin drop are different terms. And I think you are confusing them.

As I explained in my long post, "leptin resistance" is all about a resistance to register satiation from food.

A "leptin drop" will slow down metabolism and reproduction, regardless whether you are leptin/satiation resistant or not!!

Example. If you already are leptin/satiation resistance, you won't notice a leptin drop in your appetite centres. You signalling centres are not registering the levels of leptin. WHether your leptin is high or low, your brain satiety centres are not registering leptin at all.

Re: Fasting fertility and pregnancy 04 Oct 2012 12:50 #12988

• Shant
  • User is blocked
yeah yeah, i realised that when I was drawing it that it's unlikely there would be any further drop in leptin caused by fasting in leptin resistant women. i just wanted to show what i meant :). thanks diva! hey, but you can't deny that there might be a link between leptin resistance and ovulation issues, right? :pinch:
Moderators: TheFastDoctor
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds