Copyright 2017 - Custom text here
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: hormones and bone health

hormones and bone health 05 Jun 2014 12:10 #21875

• rothery
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 4
Since beginning one day a week fasting 3 months ago I have noticed an irregular menstrual cycle.
My luteal phase has gone gradually down from 10 days ( the minimum length considered fertile) to 5 days, which is a Luteal Phase Defect and associated with low estrogen levels and a loss of bone mass.
I should mention there has also been one longer fast per month, of 2-3 days, but I noticed the trend already with the 2nd one day fast.
Would it be risky for me to contine to fast?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

hormones and bone health 05 Jun 2014 12:41 #21876

• TheFastDoctor
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 711
This is likely a temporary change due to detoxification of the tissues, releasing substances that temporarily cause these cycle changes. I would suggest you continue, plus concentrate on elimination cycles and you are very likely to get back to normal in time.

André
All my posts are "generic", based on my opinions and experiences only and are not intended to replace the advice of your own licensed medical practitioner.

hormones and bone health 05 Jun 2014 19:51 #21880

• rothery
  • User is blocked
Dear Dr, thank you for your reply! 3 months ago my bmi was 19.7, but since starting fasting I have found difficulty maintaining a bmi of 19. I simply cannot gain back in one week, all the weight I lost with 1 day of fasting. In your experience is this weight loss normal and to be expected? And the cyclical chances will likely resolve if I continue fasting? I am concerned that I am damaging my health by not maintaining a healthy (for me) weight and that this could lead to bone problems.

hormones and bone health 11 Jun 2014 12:29 #21971

• rothery
  • User is blocked
Oh I get it, I have not been listening to my internal feedback system. The fasting schedule I maintained for the past 3 months helped me immensely with my post concussion symptoms but is too intense for me for the long term! I am going to try shorter and less frequent fasting periods, so less time in ketosis burning fat and more time between fasts to gain it back.
Doctor, I am still curious about your opinion on hormones and bone health, as the popular medical opinion seems to be, that estrogen helps build and maintain bone mass, however, fasting is also supposed to be good for bone health therefore I am curious what happens when fasting disrupts estrogen production.... Does it result in a loss or gain of bone?

hormones and bone health 11 Jun 2014 15:54 #21976

• TheFastDoctor
  • User is blocked
Don't be overly concerned about the BMI dear Rothery, with the cycle you tend to become leaner but it's more fat loss. I do agree with you though, one day per week is more likely to be a way you can maintain.

Hormones can likely reduce the rate of bone loss but it does not really reverse it. And perhaps it works by making people more active as they feel younger when the hormones are still in the system. But weight bearing physical activity does much, much more than any other factor in maintaining bone health.

Losing a BIT of bone is actually good, as you lose old, weak bone, making way for fresh, stronger bone to take its place. That's likely part of what happens during the cyclical diet.

André
All my posts are "generic", based on my opinions and experiences only and are not intended to replace the advice of your own licensed medical practitioner.

hormones and bone health 14 Jun 2014 16:41 #22110

• rothery
  • User is blocked
Dear Doctor, thank you for the information!

hormones and bone health 23 Sep 2014 14:35 #23358

• rothery
  • User is blocked
Thank you for all the information so far, Dr Kruger.
Is it possible that the cortisol production from a weekly fast, could affect the menstrual cycle?

hormones and bone health 24 Sep 2014 09:16 #23362

• TheFastDoctor
  • User is blocked
It is indeed possible dear Rothery. Cortizone or Cortisol is after all the base steroid hormone from which Estrogen and Progesterone is made... and it, in turn, is of course derived from Cholesterol.

André

hormones and bone health 24 Sep 2014 13:10 #23366

• rothery
  • User is blocked
What then is the solution? Raise cholesterol levels? Stop fasting??? :S

hormones and bone health 24 Sep 2014 17:26 #23367

• TheFastDoctor
  • User is blocked
Not that simple dear Rothery... Bear in mind inter alia that cholesterol levels measured in the blood does not necessarily reflect "whole body" levels. indeed some studies have shown if you are over 85, higher cholesterol is associated with longer life expectancy but this is but one of many thousands of factors. I firmly believe that fasting days (within reason) does not "count" towards aging.

There are many questions and less answers. But fasting removes all outside influences, allowing your intelligent body to find its own ideal balance.

André
Moderators: TheFastDoctor
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds