Copyright 2017 - Custom text here
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Please Help not feeling well on Master Cleanse Fast

Please Help not feeling well on Master Cleanse Fast 03 Feb 2009 12:53 #2350

Hi. Last night i finished day 1 of the water fast. I had been doing the Master Cleanse up until then (for 7 days). Last night i felt "off" and exhausted so i went to bed early. Around midnight i woke up because my heart was racing so badly. I was hot, shaky and nauseous. I still am now... it is not getting any better at all. I'm thinking my blood sugar is way too low... what do you think? I'm going to try to wait it out. If I dont' hear back from anyone, i'm going to make myself one of the master cleanse lemonades just to give me a little sugar. I've never had a problem with sugar before, but i've never really done a water fast before - just 24 hours. Please help!!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Please Help not feeling well on Master Cleanse Fast 03 Feb 2009 13:00 #2351

And i'm feeling lightheaded and things are kinda off - like when you get up way too quickly... just feeling fuzzy and out of it.

Please Help not feeling well on Master Cleanse Fast 03 Feb 2009 15:11 #2356

• Meditating
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 3
It sounds like a blood pressure issue, which is normal during a fast. Fasting lowers blood pressure and those fasting often experience what is called orthostatic hypotension. This means that your blood pressure drops whenever your body has been at rest and you begin to move.

It isn't anything to be alarmed about but you do need to understand that it is happening and be mindful about it. Whenever you have been at rest either lying down or sitting still, try to remember to stretch really well before you get up and to rise slower than you normally would. This will allow your blood pressure to adjust so you don't feel dizzy all the sudden. If you catch yourself feeling dizzy don't panic. You can slowly drop to one knee, as if you were doing a half-squat, and give it a few seconds and it will pass.

During my first 2 Master Cleanses this happened often. On my first fast this happened once or twice when I would wake up in the morning and then I put a big sign next to bed to remind me to stretch. My last fast, it didn't happen at all and so far this fast it hasn't happened either.

I am really amazed at how quickly the body adjust to fasting. It does seem to know what it is doing.

Please Help not feeling well on Master Cleanse Fast 03 Feb 2009 16:13 #2362

• TheFastDoctor
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 711
Excellent advice, Meditating! Postural or Orthostatic hypotension is a common occurrence during cleansing. We document it by measuring your blood pressure while lying down and again up to 3 minutes after getting up into a standing posture.

What I know about "Master cleanse", however, is just enough to be sure I will never do it. The substances in the prescribed concoction are prone to induce low blood sugar and prevent you from going catabolic. I am not surpised that it brings about these symptoms.

André
All my posts are "generic", based on my opinions and experiences only and are not intended to replace the advice of your own licensed medical practitioner.

Please Help not feeling well on Master Cleanse Fast 03 Feb 2009 17:46 #2365

Thank you both for your great insight. I'm sticking it out. I don't feel as aweful as i did last night and this morning. My neck and head are hurting pretty bad and i'm exhausted, but other than that, the other symptoms have gone away. I hope they stay away for the remainder of the fast. And, i hope i can sleep tonight! I think the next time i water fast, i'll do it without doing the master cleanse first. Thanks again!!!

Please Help not feeling well on Master Cleanse Fast 03 Feb 2009 19:02 #2366

• Petals
  • User is blocked
SO glad you are doing better! I have always had episodes of angina pain and a feeling of my heart beating out of my chest. It's worse while fasting. Once I went to the ER for crushing pains in my chest and it felt like my arm was aching. The EKG was fine, and after doing a stress test in a clinic, they told me that my heart rate and BP was like that of a trained athlete.. go figure. The only thing they found was that my Cholesterol and Trigs were high. That was about a year and a half ago.

I said all that to say this. I've gotten to where I kind of ignore chest pain and/or heart abnormalities that I can feel. I think our hearts just do that sometimes to remind us we are alive ;) It reminds me that I need to do everything I can to take care of mine ;) Fasting has not bothered me nor my blood sugar one bit. I had my blood sugar checked while I fasted yesterday, it was 98, so I know I"m good to go!

I do hope this eases your mind a little. If you have any doubts, I would go to a doctor and have it checked to relieve any stress you might be having about it.

Please Help not feeling well on Master Cleanse Fast 03 Feb 2009 21:28 #2369

Thank you, Petals!
This does help to ease my mind a bit :) I can't tell you how many times today i contemplated just going back to my Master Cleanse lemonade for the remainder of the day and tomorrow...I just felt so horrible today and last night. But, after reading that these are normal detox symptoms and that i shouldn't be alarmed, i feel a little better about it. I just hope i get back some of my energy - i was feeling great while on the Master Cleanse. I'm sticking it out till the end and just hoping for the best. But, i can't tell you how much i'm looking forward to drinking fruit juice on Thursday (i think that's how you guys break a water fast). I'm just looking forward to feeling better again! Thanks so much for your great input!

Please Help not feeling well on Master Cleanse Fast 03 Feb 2009 21:41 #2370

• TheFastDoctor
  • User is blocked
Hi Petals and Carrie.. I think we're on the right path here now.. but I don't have a clue what a sugar of 98 could be.. normal range is from 3.4 to 6.5 millimol per litre. I have had (Fasting) patients going as low as 1 mmol/l, feeling quite fine.. sent some sample to an outside lab and they wanted to know when the patient died. He was running in the mountains.

Remember when you go catabolic (ketotic) you actually become sugar independent as your body can then derive all its energy from fats. This is particularly welcome in diabetics who can often get an "insulin holiday" not needing any injections.

And dear Carrie, remember: During the fast you did not put anything INto you that can make you feel sick so any feelings are caused by something trying to get OUT. So do try to do a few elimination cycles during the course of a day. You'll achieve more and likely feel better quicker.

André
All my posts are "generic", based on my opinions and experiences only and are not intended to replace the advice of your own licensed medical practitioner.

Please Help not feeling well on Master Cleanse Fast 03 Feb 2009 23:13 #2371

Andre,

Thank you again for your wonderful insight. But, i'm not sure what an elimination cycle is. I was just wondering how you eliminate your toxins if your not doing anything to help them along. I haven't had solids in 8 days... I'd do just about anything at this point to feel better :)
Thank you!

Please Help not feeling well on Master Cleanse Fast 04 Feb 2009 02:25 #2373

• Meditating
  • User is blocked
CARRIE - You are just beginning to fast. I think the Master Cleanse is a great jumping on point simply because for me it got me thinking about the possibility of detoxing and then fasting. After spending a year reading as much as possible about fasting, I am convinced I would not do another MC but since I love that spicy, sweet lemonade I would still make a batch to drink.

Because of the MC lemonade, you have been contributing daily to your blood sugar levels. I calculated out the caloric value of the MC lemonade and it is around 800-1100 calories daily depending on how much you drink and it is MOSTLY sugar. I felt a great energy boost while on the MC but I now understand that had more to do with a decrease in energy needed for digestion because I wasn't eating solid food. Digestion can use up to 60% of your daily energy. You also benefit by limiting a wide variety of food/drink that may be troublesome for you but you haven't figured that out yet.

Now, you are finally fasting and getting to the heart of it. More than likely, your first fast will be the most difficult if you hold out for several days and let your body try to take care of itself. I was so sick my first water fast. I really needed that fast because I puked for days and had a few other unattractive symptoms.

How wonderful that you have put yourself in this position! Most people never get to figure this out. Regardless of your detox symptoms right now, it only gets better from here.

Go to the most recent posts and look for the new post on the LA Times article on fasting. Each study continues to prove the healthy benefits of fasting.

Please Help not feeling well on Master Cleanse Fast 04 Feb 2009 04:58 #2380

• Petals
  • User is blocked
Sorry Doctor,

My blood sugar was for pmol/L not mmol/L But I think the equivalant is between 4-4.5 mmol/L. I had to look it up on Wikipedia. Here is the link

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_sugar

Please Help not feeling well on Master Cleanse Fast 04 Feb 2009 06:46 #2386

• TheFastDoctor
  • User is blocked
Thanks Petals.. remember we men are a bit dumb and you girls have to deal with it..

Now Meditating, I would love to get a reference of who measured the '60%' of energy used for digesting, because I had it at less than 20%. About up to 70% (even more in cold climates) of energy ingested is used to maintain body temperature. But of course energy spend on digestion will release heat and thus help with maintianing temperature.

And thanks again for the link to the LA Times article.. everyone should read that.

André

Please Help not feeling well on Master Cleanse Fast 04 Feb 2009 14:14 #2389

• Meditating
  • User is blocked
When it comes to the science of living organisms, which don't have the continuity of a discipline like chemistry, it is very difficult to know what is a legitimate source anymore, if any exist. In my country, it is easy to see and has been repeatedly proven that the scientific reporting and actions of our government health agencies are motivated more by monied interest than science or public health concerns. Many privately funded studies have been shown to be biased and replete with conflicts of interest and in some instances even fraud. These days it is hard for me to believe anything short of my personal experience, which for many reasons is subject to misunderstanding and error. Admittedly, from my point of view, there is no way of knowing what is actually correct when it comes to living organisms. I would initially question the opinions of experts even where there is consensus.

I don't have a reference for my statement of 60%, although I do remember seeing that specific number on at least one occasions. My statement of up to 60% was a middle point between the numbers I read most often, which seem to vary from 40% and up to 80%. I don't believe I read any of that information quoted from a scientific study but instead from authors of books or writings that promoted or discussed fasting.

Please Help not feeling well on Master Cleanse Fast 04 Feb 2009 14:22 #2390

• David
  • Thank you received: 281
Hi Carrie, the elimination cycles also called active fasting is listed on the forum faq under Active Fasting go to forum drop down menu/forum faq
Thanks for some great posts I was wondering what this heart pounding sensation was. Glad we are getting to the bottom of this.
Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.

Please Help not feeling well on Master Cleanse Fast 04 Feb 2009 16:40 #2393

• David
Thank you De Kruger for the advice re Master Cleanse, but is this also true of general juice fasting or is your response specific to lemon juice, cayen pepper and maple syrup which are the three main ingredients of the Master Cleanse?

Please Help not feeling well on Master Cleanse Fast 04 Feb 2009 16:46 #2394

• David
Hello Dr Kruger in response to your post regarding going catabolic and becoming independent of sugar what happens if one adopts a purely fat only diet? Can the body use such fat to derive its energy needs and if so then what would be the difference between fat which is eaten and body fat? I would hope that body fat is a superior form of nutrition but am curious to know your views and anyone else who wishes to chip in.

Gratefully

David

Please Help not feeling well on Master Cleanse Fast 04 Feb 2009 19:14 #2397

• TheFastDoctor
  • User is blocked
Hi David, good to read a post from you again!

I read up on Master Cleanse when it was mentioned so in all honesty I did not know what it entailed beforehand. My response is the same as to any diet called a fast, but containing energy. In the case of "master cleanse" I am particularly worried about maple syrup as it is extremely concentrated sugar, whilst the pepper will likely stimulat excessive gastric acid formation. Any strong taste has the tendency to do that.

You can live on a diet supplying all your energy from fat. The first time I saw this was in my hospital years, when we had a little boy with a very severe form of epilepsy, not controlled by any drug. Our professor in Paediatrics prescribed the ketogenic diet: Most energy coming from fats. Ketones are potent brain cell membrane stabilizers and did eventually control this kid's epilepsy. In time, a child can outgrow this disease and get onto a healthier diet.

I would NOT suggest an adult try getting most energy from fat. The traditional Eskimo's do, and they have a very good blood cholesterol profile, but that is likely a genetic (evolutionary) adaptation to their circumstances. If we were to live on fat, we'll probably cause severe blood vessel damage. When using "body fat" the first to be used would be those outside the cells.. in other words, the plaques in the arteries, etc., so it will cleanse these. But if the diet supplies enough for all your requirements, you will likely add to the plaques.

André

Please Help not feeling well on Master Cleanse Fast 04 Feb 2009 21:07 #2400

• David
Thanks for that Doctor, but it is still not clear to me whether animal or vegetable fat would be equal in quality to body fat?

Gratefully

David

Please Help not feeling well on Master Cleanse Fast 05 Feb 2009 04:44 #2404

• TheFastDoctor
  • User is blocked
Well David the end products of catabolism of fat (Ketones and glycerol) will be the same. So the (non-fat) cells will receive the same substances to sustain themselves.

But if the diet supplied the fat, there's a likelyhood that it could at times supply more than our needs and this will leave a residue that could be potentially harmful by being deposited for example in arterial walls. If the body supplies the fats, it supplies what we need. And since there is a nett mobilization, the deposits will be removed, not formed.

André
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds