Copyright 2018 - Custom text here

Interesting Story About Not Eating and Psoriasis

More
20 Nov 2013 14:38 - 20 Nov 2013 14:44 #18767 by captiondove
captiondove created the topic: Interesting Story About Not Eating and Psoriasis
Hello Doctor and those interested to hear my story:
I had and experience where I had psoriasis terribly on my hands, elbows and ankles. I went on a strict diet, drinking all my nutrition and calories and didn't eat for over a year. Within the first 3 months the psoriasis disappeared, my hands were beautiful and I didn't have a stitch of psoriasis anywhere and I had never been free of it for years. I lost 140 pounds and I exercised almost daily. I looked like a different person. Well, later on I gave into bad habits again and started gaining weight and eventually gained all the weight back and then a few more on top of that. I still didn't get the psoriasis back. But a few years into the re-gain I started having itching on my hands and not only did I get the psoriasis back on my hands, it came back differently and my hands are a total mess interfering with daily activities. I live in plastic gloves so that I can function, otherwise my hands hurt terribly. The disease covers my hands and climbed up my wrists then up my inner forearms coming close to my elbows. My hands look like they were burned. I have to deal with the public and I can see them looking at my hands. I have grown used to it, but I really hate it and how they stare at it. Some drop things in my hands cause they don't want to catch what I have. I don't get offended, they just don't know any better. I never did get it back on my ankles, however, I have a small patch on the back of each foot. Since I am large again, my feet, on the balls of my feet I got kind of a callous, or where the skin was rubbed, and that single event brought on some psoriasis there. The ball of the foot and near the arch is a pressure point for me. I have had to put lotion with band-aids and then tape the band-aids down so they stay on so I can function. It only takes a little small insignificant split on your foot to make you miserable. I have to keep on top of it. Recently, I bought some high boots that go up the leg and they are wide calf. Since I've been wearing them, my feet are taking life better. The boots just help and they are comfortable.

It's amazing what I have to go through in a day's time. I need to get the weight off, but I need help. I really need someone to work with me because of all I went through the first time I lost weight... If only I could afford a trainer, it would be the motivation I need to get moving on my weight problem again. I just can't mentally bring myself to work on it again. I just can't do it alone, I need a support system and someone to help me till I can help myself. Once I start losing enough weight, I can go it alone because the weight loss alone is motivation to keep me going.

Anyway, my point here is that had I not actually experienced this massive change from having a debilitating condition of psoriasis on my hands, then to go on a drastic plan, a total 180 turn from what I had been doing, which was eating fast food and junk continually, to within just a few months, seeing my psoriasis disappear is proof to me that diet and exercise has something to do with it's disappearance. I believe my body had toxic stuff in there from the fast food places. Remember, I didn't get it back right away, in fact, several years after the gain.

I dream of having my hands clear again. Nobody could imagine what it's like for a lady to have the most horrifying ugly hands and then to be free of it. I remember when I was working out with someone after it cleared. By that time I had pretty polish on my fingernails, and rings and bracelets on my hands. And the person said, "You have BEAUTIFUL hands." Those words just hit me with such force...to hear words like that after living in misery and despair concerning my hands... I long to hear those words again. I pray that I can get free of this disease again. This time though I will keep with my program and never stray away because I know what will be waiting for me.

I'd like to hear what the doctor thinks about my interesting story about the psoriasis clearing up. Like I said, I would be skeptical had I not actually lived this. What I was on was not a total water fast, but I was not eating food and did not eat for 13 months. I would never go that long again, that was not a good choice, but that was how desperate I was to change.

Thank you all for listening.

Marie

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2013 14:55 #18768 by MarcM
MarcM replied the topic: Interesting Story About Not Eating and Psoriasis
I suffer from it also - you are not alone, and am interested in what the Dr has to say.
Fasting has helped me decrease it and controll it, but I've yet to do what you have and stay on one long enough to put it into remission.

Join us on the November Fast board if your ready to start again.
Great support from current fasters.
good luck Marie.

Accept yourself as you are. Otherwise you will never see opportunity. You will not feel free to move toward it; you will feel you are not deserving.

Maxwell Maltz
The following user(s) said Thank You: captiondove

More
20 Nov 2013 17:34 #18773 by danielle
danielle replied the topic: Interesting Story About Not Eating and Psoriasis
From what I understand about fasting, and Doc will comment on this, is that when you fast, especially for long periods of time, your body eats anything inside it. So, once it works through the glucose and carbs and proteins and muscle, it starts to eat away at foreign things, like ulcers or disease. If you have anything inside that is inflamed or sick, the body eats it and it goes away.

Again, doc can verify if this is true. I just read that this is the process. That is why fasting is so powerful. It heals itself and rids itself of disease. The doctor always says it is better to put nothing inside you, when you need to heal. If you take stuff, the body will have to digest and break that up, taking it longer to get to the stuff already inside.

Make sense? Good luck !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ockeghem

More
20 Nov 2013 21:50 #18782 by Elizabeth C
Elizabeth C replied the topic: Interesting Story About Not Eating and Psoriasis
Marie, I'm so sorry to hear of the struggle you are having with this awful skin condition. I've been doing alot of google searching on fasting which curing psoriasis has come up a couple of times. I think you're on the right track. I feel like a newbie still. Don't have much to offer but support.
I sure wish we had more physicians like Dr. Andre in our home towns It's clear that fasting is a wonderul tool for bettering health. What do you think about asking around at a health food store, or a chiropractor? I believe there is someone out there who can assist you one on one. Another idea is to do research, print it out, and take it to your doctor. Perhaps he/she will agree to monitor you. I wish you success with this. Keep in touch. Check out the November thread. There is daily support/friendship there.

More
20 Nov 2013 22:48 - 20 Nov 2013 23:03 #18784 by captiondove
captiondove replied the topic: Interesting Story About Not Eating and Psoriasis
HELLO EVERYONE! I'm sorry, I don't know how to respond to everyone as a whole. So perhaps you can all help me on that.

Thank you for everyone for responding. And yes, I believe that what Danielle said is exactly right. I lost a lot of fat during that year and did go through a lot of things. It was definitely physical seeing myself shrink and actually liking the person I was becoming. I don't like what my face or body looks like with extra weight. When I lost weight, it was like I was such a different person. I lived my whole life overweight and now here's this woman I don't know staring back at me in the mirror

Not having that food there was kind of empty at times, but I went over a year. I got through it. Not eating for that period of time and exercising and having all that control made me mentally tough. Actually, my truth for me is that losing weight and gaining control of one's diet/lifestyle is mostly a mental game. It all starts in the mind and until that mind is determined to change, nothing will change and things remain the same.

I should not have gone a year, but perhaps 4 months or so and then transition. I did not go into it with the intention of harming myself, but others really were concerned for me towards the end. My hair took a beating too. I have long hair. It used to be super thick. It's been a long time since that diet, in fact, years, but my hair thickness never fully recovered and that makes me sad. Others say I have beautiful hair. My hair is very long, but I know at one time it was so thick and I never remember having problems with my hair, I had a ton of it. Perhaps down the road it will improve, but in my mind I have half the hair I used to.

The diet, I did it alone without medical help simply because I didn't have money or insurance to do it. I would never do a plan of not eating ever any longer than 40 days at a time, and at that, with separation between times.

For my personal beliefs, I don't believe in going beyond 40 days ever. I've never gone any further than 21 days water, spiritual fasting, but my desire in my heart is to go 40 days water, but that will take God's help and his timing in my life.

I know from eating fast food and high fat processed foods that this is what is wrong inside my body as well as inflammation from just being over 300 pounds. I also have not been drinking adequate water. Some days I drink probably 20 ounces if that in water and maybe a few diet pops, which is garbage I know. Everything you said made sense. I just remember how the psoriasis had nothing to hang onto.

Actually at first, I thought wow, this looks better, then I started trying to put some medicine on it, a steroid creme--just a little tiny bit, but then I discovered, you don't need to help it, it's leaving out. And by the way, that steroid creme is awful stuff. I say that because actually for me even in light doses, the medicine comes back twofold to afflict me. There was a lady at my job. She knew of my condition. She has medical insurance and I do not. She has a few tiny spots that crop up, but they are just little. So she had extra tubes of medication she would not need. It had a low dosage of steroid. I had used steroid creme on and off for years only to find it actually tricks me and then comes back worse. I went ahead and got it from her. It is good for tiny spots. I have actually used it on the back of my foot and it helped it without really backfiring. I got some lightness of the skin and the skin settled down, but it never goes away with medicine, but I knew if I didn't use it continually, it would flareup worse than ever, and that's what it did. I vowed not to ever use that again on my hands, never. I have had it.

I realize that it's from the inside out. My skin being afflicted like that is telling me that something internally isn't right. I have learned this, especially through my experience when I didn't eat for that year. I had to eat bad for a number of years before the psoriasis came upon me again.

Since that point I have not been on anything longer than a 7 day fast, which I know is not long enough. I fast for spiritual reasons, but now I am looking into this for also the health benefits, which I know there are many.

I am a happy girl, but unhappy about my weight and condition I have found myself in. I know that sounds contradictory, but it's not. I am happy, but unhappy about being obese. What man or woman wakes up and says, "I'm so very happy, look at me, I'm morbidly obese and weigh 350 pounds; Whoopee! There's nothing like it!" Yeah, sure, there's nothing like misery, that's for sure. :woohoo: It's not like I can eat better and exercise and in two weeks or a month I'm all better. It's a lifestyle and it will take me a year to get this off or perhaps a few months on top of that, then once all the weight is gone, you got to fight daily to keep on track or the weight will creep back--that's reality--it's lifelong and I have to face it and others who are wanting to change their bodies.

Honestly, I look at it this way, this is really my fault, but I will not be down on myself, it is wrong to do that.

I know God expects me to do my part and honestly, I am not doing that. So now I need to start working on drinking enough water, not eating junk and big meals before bed, and begin exercising and starting out small. I know what to do, it's just hard to do it when I find myself in this pit of obesity and affliction. That's the mental part, myself and those that want to change have to face that it will be very hard, but it is worth it all the way. Really, it's a battle with "self." Self doesn't want to do things that are uncomfortable. Self is my worst enemy! Anyway, I wanted to thank all of the others that commented on my posting.

I can't wait until the doctor comments. I am still amazed how this condition went away for many years after my long stint without food, and I still drank my nutrition, took supplements and did even drink tomato juice and no-sugar hot chocolate when it go really rough. So I know that those things did not contribute to a skin problem. I am convinced that that obesity and the diet play a huge role. I have also heard studies about how exercise plays a role. I went from barely being able to walk fast to power walking and really working out hard and aerobics. There was a wall I hit though because when one goes without food that long, you just can only push the body so far and it just can't be pushed anymore. I went too far with it, but I didn't plan to do that.

I don't want to write books on here or no one will read my posts. I just have had all this bottled up inside for so long. :sick: One thing is I just want to change. I am still healthy enough to make the changes, but it's hard to mentally. Mentally, I am in a rut. The weight causes me to feel like this, but I have to learn to be comfortable with being uncomfortable so I can exercise and do things I won't necessarily like to do, but they will help and benefit my health. My first priority is not looks. Honestly, it's more about my health, then looking nicer. Additionally, I don't know what it's like to shop off the rack and it's about time I do.

I had a short stint when I lost all that weight, but I never fully experienced it all the way around for every type of clothing, dresses and all. I still had a bit more weight to lose and I was two different sizes at my lowest.

I talk about weight a lot, but I am on here about the benefits of fasting. I've got to start with meals, then progress to days, then add more days. I have to start small so I am getting into the habit of it continually.

Anyway, I will go for now. I read every one of your posts. I appreciate your input, and thank you. I will take all the encouragement I can get and hopefully along the way I will inspire someone with something I said.

Blessings,
Marie

More
23 Nov 2013 06:22 #18801 by Leann1
Leann1 replied the topic: Interesting Story About Not Eating and Psoriasis
Marie, Thank you for sharing your experience about your 13 month liquid diet and subsequent struggles getting back to an alternative fasting routine. Lots of people backtrack on their successful fasts. You've demonstrated an astonishing amount of self discipline and strength. You still possess these attributes. You're wise to take small steps as you work toward a new fasting/healthy eating routine. But I don't agree with you that the self is your worst enemy. The self wants to do what will make you happy. But so much of poor eating is just deep rooted habits. You can reprogram your brain. You've done it before. The Fasting Connection has been tremendously helpful to me, providing emotional support, encouragement and different tactics for sticking with a fast. I hope you will continue to share your experiences with us. Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tomotto, captiondove

More
23 Nov 2013 09:36 #18802 by danielle
danielle replied the topic: Interesting Story About Not Eating and Psoriasis
Thanks Leann!

More
23 Nov 2013 10:34 #18803 by david
david replied the topic: Interesting Story About Not Eating and Psoriasis

The Fasting Connection has been tremendously helpful to me, providing emotional support, encouragement and different tactics for sticking with a fast.

Delighted to hear that Leann1 :)

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.

More
28 Nov 2013 16:27 #18828 by Lisafast
Lisafast replied the topic: Interesting Story About Not Eating and Psoriasis
Marie,
I just want to wrap my arms around you and give you the biggest hug. Thank you for sharing your story. Please don't give up on yourself. What Leann said was awesome. You do have those attributes inside you. I've been so upset about this little bit of a rash on my face and I know it has to do with just a small 25 lb weight gain. I can't imagine what you go through daily. One thing, though, You know it is from the food you eat otherwise it wouldn't have gone away from your "fast". Can I suggest that you try to begin fasting for perhaps 1-3 days each week and get that crap food out of your house. Are you fortunate enough to live alone, as I do? Then you can just throw it all away. Don't keep money in your pocket or wallet if you are in danger of going to a fast food restaurant. Consider eliminating all wheat products and anything made with flour. When I did this, I found that I wasn't experiencing blood sugar lows and carb cravings every two hours. I am beginning a fast this evening after feeding my family. You could join me if you like. You can read my novel about fasting between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I am so glad you shared. You have inspired me and I want to in turn, inspire you. Believe in yourself. You are right, it won't be a month or so, it will be a while but you can do it. Eliminate bad foods one at a time, but listen, if you eliminate wheat, no only will it be easier not to constantly be hungry, it easily eliminates foods that you probably binge or over eat and you will feel more satisfied. I'm planning to fast and it will be my longest ever probably (16 days is my current longest) and I need to drop at least 25 lbs, so I may do a 30 day. Then after that I'm going to eat low carb and see how that goes. Best of lock to you my dear. Keep in touch. LisaLuscan at gmail dot com.

More
30 Nov 2013 14:20 #18846 by TheFastDoctor
TheFastDoctor replied the topic: Interesting Story About Not Eating and Psoriasis
Indeed dear Captiondove I have often seen psoriasis resolve during a fast. I have explained the likely reasons behind it more than once on these forums. You should make fasting a regular part of your life and can use episodic fasting as one of the tools in identifying the triggers of your psoriasis, just as you can use them to identify things you are allergic to.

You could also look through the little video "Fasting and food allergies" on this site/page..

André

All my posts are "generic", based on my opinions and experiences only and are not intended to replace the advice of your own licensed medical practitioner.

More
30 Nov 2013 17:20 #18847 by david
david replied the topic: Interesting Story About Not Eating and Psoriasis
only a test for post notifications.

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.

More
30 Dec 2013 16:36 #19295 by captiondove
:woohoo:
Hey, so sorry I didn't see your posting. I didn't get notifications (hmmm, maybe I need to turn something on here so I will get notified via email when there's a posting. So much has changed since I last posted my near novel. It was very encouraging to hear from you and others that my food is causing my psoriasis. I lived to experience this. I have pictures. Maybe I should post them of my hands now (horrid) and several years back when they were healed when I was on that year-long time of not eating. I would never recommend going beyond 40 day water fast. I wasn't really fasting, but just didn't eat food and my body cleaned itself out. I know that somewhere between the elimination of those foods, drastic weight loss, the vitamin supplementation drinks I was drinking to keep going and the exercise program all had something to do with the elimination of the psoriasis. I went from having it on my hands elbows, my entire right knee, my ankles to not having one stitch of it anywhere on my body. And the weird thing is, even after I got really obese again, I didn't get the psoriasis back until I had been obese for a few years. I think it was 2005-06 that I embarked on that plan. I have trouble just doing a meal when it comes to just strict water fasting, although my longest ever water fast was 21 days. I only drank water. I desire (spiritually speaking) to go 40 days, that's my heart's desire, but that will be seeking my maker for that kind of help and power and I know he will help me because when he was here he also fasted 40 days and nights water fast and so he would not expect or ask me to do that unless he did it himself as my example. Anyway, I hate being obese. My physical life has been ruined due to my weight and my happiness. I am a happy person otherwise, but my weight is such a ball and chain day in and day out. Not sure anyone here would really understand, I would not expect them to. They would physically have to carry and extra 200 pounds around to really know and then walk it for awhile to have that same experience. I long to be normal. I long to run and jog. I long to be free from excess weight. I long to be free of it. Anyway, it's my heart's desire to be a normal size, then from there if I want to get super thin (not anorexic or anything unhealthy) then I can chizzle it down to where I want to be. I do like the slender look. I like a low percentage of body fat and a high percentage of muscle. Those kinds of details I need not worry myself with at this time. Right now it's the weight I need to get off of me. My sleep is disturbed and my whole life has really taken a bad turn lately. I'm sure my body is screaming for deliverance as my knees and joints, now my ankles, feet, legs and everything is just overdrive. I sing for my church and the other night 12 of us singers follow each other during a certain part of the song. We were walking slow and I noticed as we walked on beat, I could not really do it because my legs were shaking. My legs are weakened by all the weight and I have balance issues. I could go on and on, but anyway, I wanted to thank you for your encouragement. I need to get on the fasting bandwagon, however, my good book says to despise not the day of small things and I know I have to start with meals before I can graduate to days, then weeks. So I need to plan a meal to fast, then work from there. Thank you again and by the way, your picture, you look so pretty there with the waves in the background. I'd like to be your size one day! LOL Have a happy new year. Blessings, Heidi

More
30 Dec 2013 20:06 #19297 by TheFastDoctor
TheFastDoctor replied the topic: Interesting Story About Not Eating and Psoriasis
One way to positively rephrase your weight predicament dear Caption, is to note that this extra weight caused your muscles and your bones to grow stronger. Thus if you now start losing weight, you will be like a small car with a big engine.. very energetic and strong. We do know that losing weight quickly works better than doing it slowly thus do consider regular fasting but please don't decide on the number of days beforehand. Such a decision could over-ride your body's biofeedback to your mind.

Rather listen to your body. Every hour of every day. Your body knows best.

André

All my posts are "generic", based on my opinions and experiences only and are not intended to replace the advice of your own licensed medical practitioner.

More
31 Dec 2013 15:42 #19308 by captiondove
Hi Andre,
That was VERY ENCOURAGING to me for you to say that. Carrying around 200 extra pounds, I guess I would be a lot stronger when I get small now wouldn't I. I do realize though that now, it's all I can do to carry it all around all the time. I don't like having balance issues and my legs feeling like they can't take it. I keep thinking what's wrong with me, but then I have to remind myself that I'm carrying around a linebacker on my back and I am ready to throw him off! When I lost a lot of my weight, namely 140 pounds still having the rest to lose, about 60 more pounds, I had been working out and my friend commented how TINY my shoulders were. I had been working with weights and cardio at the same time and doing some arm work, and to think someone would describe my shoulders as "tiny" was a STRANGE thing to hear, so foreign, it was AMAZING! Also, when my hands cleared up and I had lost the 140 and working with a trainer, we were doing a set and she looked at my hands never knowing they had been previously afflicted and said, "You have beautiful hands..." Now that was the most amazing thing to hear that. When my hands cleared, and then also having lost all that weight I resumed wearing pretty rings and painting my nails in a pretty feminine frosty polish and wearing pretty bracelets with my new found thin wrists and my hands were so pretty. I mean when you have hands that were fat and wrists that were fat, swelled from fat and psoriasis and red like someone torched them to hands totally clear with beautiful jewelry on and nicely manicured nails and bracelets, it's like something out of a dream! I long for that to happen again! Anyway most people that aren't afflicted like this cannot imagine how awesome it is... I hope one day I will hear again, "You have beautiful hands..." wow... anyway thank you for helping me think that the smaller I get, I will be like a little car with a big engine...great analogy! Thank you!
CaptionDove

More
31 Dec 2013 20:37 #19315 by TheFastDoctor
Interesting perspective dear Caption... think about it: You pick up a backpack of 60 "pounds" (I guess that's about 25 kilograms?) every morning and carry it around until every night when you lie down to sleep... just think how much more you would be able to do if you did not carry that backpack..

Hope this remains a motivation.

André

Moderators: TheFastDoctor
Time to create page: 0.292 seconds